playing a "stack" from Faderfox

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Fritz

playing a "stack" from Faderfox

Post by Fritz » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:51 am

if I understand correctly, 5 is capable of playing a "stack" of Clips from one track, in sequence.
Can that be done with the Faderfox?

Play 1st Clip, stop it or it ends.
Live readies the next Clip in the "stack" on that track.
The next time Play for that Track is pressed, the next available Clip plays?

This might involve "Follow Actions"?

For my purposes, I don't necessarily want the next Clip in the "stack" to play right at the end of the first one. I want to be able to trigger it myself.

Make sense?

If so, would this still work if there was No Stop button in a space or 2 before the next Clip?

dj_huck

Post by dj_huck » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:33 am

i was trying to figure that one out myself, i do not have a faderfox but i am sure that it is the same with any controller if you get it sorted let me know

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:16 am

follow actions is what you're after. check it out in the manual, it'll explain it better than i ever could! it was a part if 4 as well.
you can do this with any controller 9all your doing is triggering clips), and you can start triggering from anywhere in the 'stack', but the stack pretty much will play out from where you trigger it until you stop it or trigger an 'unstacked' clip in that track. if you don't want follow actions (don't want the next clip to automatically play) you turn them off in that clip.

the follow actions only work with clips that are adjacent to each other. if you have a gap between clips the follow action might move to the top of the stack, but won't jump the gap.

not sure if this helps you, but you can turn off looping, and set the follow action to replay the clip etc for a timeframe longer (or shorter) than the clip. f'rinstance you could have a loop set to play for one bar, then play nothing for 3 bars, and then move on to the next loop, or play itself the same way again.

you have two separate follow actions per clip, and can probability weight them so that the first action would occur twice as often as the second action (for example) whenever that clip is played.

hope this helps ya :)
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:55 am

another thing to remember, now in Live 5, you can set follow actions for multiple clips at once.

that is to say, if you have a stack of 10 clips in a track, and you want to do a "play 4 bars and go to the next one" follow action for each, its now possible to select all clips and assign this action to all of them. As powerful as follow actions are, having a huge stack of clips that need follow actions assigned to them was a BITCH in Live 4.
So glad they added this functionality in Live 5.

i was just setting up some clips in Live 5 chopped up from a track for a Live Set i did last weekend. I divided the track into clips and set follow actions for each clip.
It took me about 1/3 the time to do this in Live 5. I was totally loving it.
And i didnt have the same actions for each clip, but out of 16 clips, i was able to select (ctrl(cmd) - click) 10 of them that weren't exactly in order and assign a "play for 8 bars and go to the next" follow action.

some food for thought when you're settting it up for your faderfox.

Fritz

Post by Fritz » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:31 pm

OK that does answer some of it and as I read again in the manual last night about the "groups" that are separated by an empty clip slot. That all makes sense.

But is there a way to play a clip in the stack and have Live ready, but not play, the next clip in the stack. Then the next time Play is tapped that next clip would play? I guess it relates more to the physical way that Faderfox LX is configured.
http://www.faderfox.de/LX1/Pict0103/pict0103.html
There is one of each button for each track, start, stop, mute, sole, etc. Without having to jog the pot on the upper right.
I know you can reassign the buttons on the LX in the usual MIDI assign mode of Live, but...

If this seems an obscure concept and question; I'm not using this as a musician, but for playing back under different pieces of video. I'm trying to figure if this can be idiot proofed for when I hand it off to someone else.

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:30 am

Hi Fritz,

There are three modes for the Faderfox LX.

The first mode is pretty much as labelled on the unit (but bottom row can be configured)

The second mode is a mix of set functions and assignable functions.

The third 'clip/slot' mode lets you assign all the buttons to sepertate slots within live. You can therefore trigger any of these 64 slots at any time and as many as you can press simultaniously.

Hope this helps
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.

Fritz

Post by Fritz » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:54 pm

it's the 1st mode that I was hoping to do what I wanted. But I guess that the stack function of Live doesn't quite do what I want, before the Faderfox is involved.