You guys and your loops?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
William

You guys and your loops?

Post by William » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:32 am

Where do most of you get the loops that you work with? Is there a good resource for free loops on the web somewhere? I ran a search but didn't find much info. Thanks!

William

blank

Post by blank » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:51 am

Personnaly i build my own from scratch

That way u have total control

so the only thing i can suggest is

use impulse as a start point.
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

William

Post by William » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:22 am

blank wrote:Personnaly i build my own from scratch

That way u have total control

so the only thing i can suggest is

use impulse as a start point.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm looking for human-played instrumental snippets to add character to some of my tracks (a human other than me ;).

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:19 am

I would suggest getting a good sample CD or two in your preferred genre. Also, both Computer Music and Fyuture Music comes with cover DVDs with lots of samples. But if they suit you is of course more of a hit and miss.

CopyRightJustice

Post by CopyRightJustice » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:22 am

I stole my dads antique record collection and brought it into the 21 century :wink:

Komplex

Post by Komplex » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:33 am

what is a loop in the first place? a slice of repeating audio recorded from instruments.

if you have instruments, u make your own loops and thats what live is all about.

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:07 am

Yeah, but if you don't have your own instruments or can't play the (say) trumpet worth shit?

Just say "No trumpets for me, ever"?

Right.

Sampling is such an integral part of modern electronic music. "Make them you own" is my motto. Use what the fuck you want, but if you want to feel proud of what you do, put your own stamp on the material.

amigo

Post by amigo » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:14 am

I usually rip a number 8 bar loops from songs and build my own mixes from the variations. It's fun. :D

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:34 am

The sample CDs are waste of money, hundreds of loops out of which just few interesting but the quality is behind today`s standards. There are few exeptions ( but really 1 in a thousand) and there is a company that I admit have some good stuff but their company policies are unethical and unpractical ( not only the licence transfer is not transferable but if I produce for someone else the client has to buy the license too - "Spectra.... go and fuck yourself with your software- is my answer to it.)
If you do music for fun, not professionally then sample CDs might be OK, though in that case you may find using old records more exciting and definitely musically more interesting.

elemental

Post by elemental » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:44 am

Search thru old records, cd's for little intrumental bits and pieces. Use sample cd's (but not too much).

Chop, rearrange, process till its yours ... or if it fits just use it as is.

Personally I hardly ever use a 'loop' someone else made.

Be creative!