Drum sampler recommendations?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hambone1

Drum sampler recommendations?

Post by hambone1 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:24 pm

I'm really cheesed off that I can't remotely change Impulse patches for playing live percussion. I bought iDrums, and although it's a pretty useful little drum sequencer, it, too doesn't have remote patch changing.

As my playing is getting better, the limitations of single-sample one-shots is showing its limitations. So I'm looking for a relatively basic drum sampler that allows velocity cross-fading and remote patch selection with low CPU requirements. I'm not worried about filters, etc... just wanna bang on stuff and trigger samples!

Any help appreciated!

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:53 am

Thought about Halion Player.

Anyone using it? How's the CPU load?

kiddy

Post by kiddy » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:41 am

Native Instruments Battery 2 is pretty decent.

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:21 am

Can you really import your own material into HALion player?

There should be a free or low cost solution to your rather basic requirements. Ask around at KvR.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:42 am

Thanks!

Checkin' out KVR now.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:35 am

Looked for the same thing about year ago, wanted Battery or Halion first but then "Fax" from this forum suggested Reason. Little more money but lots of other goodies. Initially I used it only for the drums but meanwhile with version 3 it became more. I find the Reasons Drum Kits the best sounding virtual drums (It is also personal taste since they used instruments that I like- DW, Yamaha, Zildjans). Their hypersampling brings amazing results. Yesterday spent entire day making loops for Live, increadible, you have so much options before even using EQ or FXs. Just like in a real studio using the mics placing, using the mixer and say for a snare- bottom, top, close room, further room mics- can get lots of sounds. Again it might be very personal, since I used work a lot with real musicians in real studios, I can use my experience ( drums always were the most difficult and time consuming part of a production, now I hire drummer with pads set and save a lot of time and money)

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:31 pm

Can you do progam changes to Reason from Live? I think that is the reason why Hambone wants to switch from Impulse...

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:25 pm

Program changes is the main reason. I can do without the velocity cross-fading of samples for now.

I've already got my samples to use. Just need a way to trigger them and load different sets for different scenes.