Lets make a new section in the forum for DJ talk

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

What do you think of the idea of having a DJ section?

That is a great idea!
68%
Why bother
32%

Total votes: 53

atomic

Post by atomic » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:45 am

DISUYE wrote:
Machinate wrote:but wouldn't a dj section be the same as a n00b section?
:wink:
This forum *is* a n00b section. All pro-level production chat is on the Logic & ProTools forum :)

Dan
sure hope your joking!
ABIT NF7+AMDXP@2500, RME Multiface, TC Powercore Element+Virus, UAD-1, Nord Lead2, Reason2.5, impOSCar, Microtonic, Reaktor5 and some other stuff...

inis

Post by inis » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:06 am

I am always in favor of more sections. I dont even give a shit what they are about anymore. I just want more of them

DISUYE

Post by DISUYE » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:55 am

[quote="atomic"][quote="DISUYE"][quote="Machinate"]but wouldn't a dj section be the same as a n00b section?
:wink:[/quote]

This forum *is* a n00b section. All pro-level production chat is on the Logic & ProTools forum :)

Dan[/quote]

sure hope your joking![/quote]

I meant every word of it.

</sarc>

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:14 am

If you just use Live to mix track A into track B....
You should burn in hell. There are like 1001 other things you could do. To enhance the experience of playing with Live.
There's more to life then pressing the play button.

I can't see the use of a DJ forum.
You guys don't seriously expect Ableton to bring out a slim version of Live?
Everybody would just keep asking for features that are in the full version.
So it would be pointless.

The tips and tricks section could use some splitting up though.
Into 2 forums.

- Post your tips and tricks here

- ask questions here

my 0.02 cents.

AlexG

Post by AlexG » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:23 am

Question: How to de-value Ableton Live?

Answer: A 'DJ Version'

The beauty of this software (and what attracted me to it) is the way in which you can take ideas from the studio straight into the DJ booth without even having to consolidate them. Prior to version 3, I used to take out an RM1X and an ESI2000 with a load of rex'd up loops on it, to mix in with vinyl while I was DJing. Ableton has freed me from the hours of painful rexing and SCSI dumping/sampler crashing that I used to go through. It has also meant I no longer need to carry a bloody great flight case along with my record box. Im still doing the same shit, except ALL THE TIME, even when I'm writing beats I'm thinking how its gonna fit into a set and work with other contemporary tracks. Talk about integration, this kind of software frees the mind!

If you want to have a mix, get Traktor.

If you want to PERFORM a mix, get Live!
If it ain't broke, don't try to mix it!

Roland MC500, Imac 24", Live 7, Yamaha A4000, Akai S950, Revox PR99

JohnDP

Post by JohnDP » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:39 am

Making a DJ Version is made not necessary but the introduction of DJ functions i more than necessary in order for Ableton to compete.

I already wrote an email to Ul Kaiser of the Ableton HQ and i'll write my points again here.

For the majority of you playing with minimal music, be ith techno, tech-hosue or whatever doesn't have a wide variety of things going on at the same time then Ableton can be wonderful but there ARE people out there like me that want to use Live as 3rd or maybe 4th deck in addiition to their 1200s or CDJs. For instance by putting a full drum track (i.e. the beats versions of a track) on the first channel and some tools, be it acapellas or loops on the second deck. These people, which are more than you could assume NEED pitchbending or other DJ functions.

COmments like "why bother with vinyl or cd's anyway" to syncing questions are just pointless for the ones asking although the person replying could perfectly be happy with using solely Live.

This is why Ableton could make a stipped down version if for instance the problem of pitchbending in the LIve 5 software depends on cpu usage or else. Yet i do take the point here that people would be asking for features of the original version, this is why IMO the Live 5 version should have a nudge function besides the bpm.

JDP

JohnDP

Post by JohnDP » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:41 am

p.s. i am not meaning to slash techno or minimal music, i simply ment that whilst 3 and 4 decks mixing is very common with said music, its more difficult if impossible to do with US Garage or Vocal House.

The Masters At Work do that but they are few on this world that do that as the vocals, the harmonics and whatsoever do clash heavily.

inis

Post by inis » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:35 pm

The problem I see with a "DJ version" is having to look at even more stupid questions than I do every day. I am totally amazed out how fucking stupid some of these noob's are. And no, I was never that fucking stupid. I actually tryed things on my own, or used search functions on forums and read things. I didnt expect someone to hand it too me.

There is an insane amount of these kids selling their turntables and buying live because they saw BT or Sasha using it, and they expect you to hand them a cookie-cutter way of DJing. They dont realize that if they couldnt cut it on the turntables, they will never cut it with live.

JohnDP

Post by JohnDP » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:39 pm

ok, but that is like saying all girls are sluts because your girlfriend shagged with your best friend. Its of course true if all do like that but the reality is not that general.

Some people are just amazed by Live and by its "magic" automatic beatmtching and thus we will always have stupid questions. Just ignore them if they are too stupid. As simple as you would ignore girls that appear as sluts and go for better ones.

Good point though...

JDP

GK

Post by GK » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:34 pm

why on earth , should a smartass , spend 15 fuckin seconds to make a dj-noobs-hate post ? go back to your amateur-sounding-cheesy loops and give us a break.

for sure a dj section. like 50% of abletonlive owners use it for that purpose,so they only want to read dj related topics.

ps:no 'slim' ableton version tough... if i dont use something,i just dont ignore it...
This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

HH the Dalai Lama

GK

Post by GK » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:23 am

it just took me like 10 minutes to find this post...

we sure need a new section folks...

*begs admin*
This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

HH the Dalai Lama

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:33 am

Name 10 topics that are only relevant to dj's and concern Live :wink:

@GK

If it takes you 10 minutes to find a thread on page 1.
You might want to change your search method.
Even if you viewed all your previous posts. You would have found this thread in under 30 seconds.

GK

Post by GK » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:19 am

hoffman i'm sure they exist i'm just bored to collect'em for ya!sorry

i was searching for new posts till last login , my eyes hurt from the SMALL like...REALLY SMALL fonts , search function did not give results , i'm using phpbb forums for ages,so i think this has nothing to do with my method,its cause every day there are like 10 new topics and 200 new posts so it's kindda hard to find what you were reading 2 days ago...i hope you agree.

HH the Dalai Lama

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:32 am

GK wrote:hoffman i'm sure they exist i'm just bored to collect'em for ya!sorry

i was searching for new posts till last login , my eyes hurt from the SMALL like...REALLY SMALL fonts , search function did not give results , i'm using phpbb forums for ages,so i think this has nothing to do with my method,its cause every day there are like 10 new topics and 200 new posts so it's kindda hard to find what you were reading 2 days ago...i hope you agree.
I do agree that the search function sucks.
Ableton once spoke of a forum makeover.
But it never happened.

I was just pointing out that there are other ways of finding a topic you once posted in. Like viewing your previous posts for example. It'll save you 9 minutes :wink:

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:01 am

Hye i started off using ableton just to Dj with and aload of prosuction stuff and tips nothing to do with DJing helped me learn ableton Djing properly - so much so in fact i think it gave me the kick into production i need and a grasp of things i wouldnt otherwise of known... in other words it became a bridge for me. i dont hink they should be seperate.

i do however think there should be a sticky thread for DJs who are new to read before asking - every day the same 5 questions get asked!