NI Traktor 3.0 (4 decks, integrated Beatport, etc...)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dCross

NI Traktor 3.0 (4 decks, integrated Beatport, etc...)

Post by dCross » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:28 pm

The addition of two more decks has the potential to give Live a run for its money, IMHO.....

http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.p ... raktor3_us

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:07 pm

interesting.

its all crap though if they haven't fixed their "Crates" and file explorer issues that didn't work in Mac OS X. Plus the keyboard assignments were crap in the 2.6 version (certain critical keystroke shortcuts stopped working between the version upgrades)... hello.

This is why I looked into Live in the first place. I will admit that it is a fun program, but I can't see using it as a primary DJ tool now that I've been exposed to Live and all its possbilities.

I hate the integrated Beatport browser as well. Why? It's unnecessary, but definitely will help Beatport with sales (good thing) but fucks up the interface (bad thing, IMO).

One thing that NI has over Ableton though, is native support of OSC.

rob.

drush

Post by drush » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:14 pm

that ugly ass browser takes up that much space??

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:20 pm

NI are scrambling.

Traktor will be history, especially if a 'dumbed down' DJ version of Live appears, and/or Ableton can produce or license a Live-specific hardware controller.

dCross

Post by dCross » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:46 pm

hambone1 wrote:NI are scrambling.

Traktor will be history, especially if a 'dumbed down' DJ version of Live appears, and/or Ableton can produce or license a Live-specific hardware controller.
I strongly doubt that. I would say they are in the lead, and working to maintain it.

They sit comfortably in the middle between companies with budget DJ tools (PCDJ, mixvibes), and high-end DJ/Producer tools (Live).

For a DJ who just wants
A: to emulate DJing on a computer without going nuts with track counts and effects
B: a polished program that doesn't look like a $99 toy
Traktor is the only solution.

Rx

Post by Rx » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:35 am

working with FinalScratch doesn't hurt either - it's the only option that's really accepted by the image-conscious community at large.

anyone else wonder if the 'perfectly emulated' Allen & Heath mixer could be a precursor to using an A&H mixer as a control surface?
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:24 pm

I still don't get it.

Once the talented Live 5 PAs are out there performing, who's gonna want to book a Traktor DJ?

I'd be shitting myself if I were a non-Live DJ without the potential to become one.

Their days are numbered, in my opinion.

Krugger

Post by Krugger » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:35 pm

the same guy who would book a 'conventional' DJ!

see, your question kinda says "Would would want a DJ?" (i.e, any type of DJ)

well, there's a crowd for that! i've just returned from ibiza, trust me, there IS still a crowd for that! for people to agree to pay 10euros for a stupid spanish beer in a club just to see XYZ playing, surely there's a crowd for it.

I saw Carl Cox last Tuesday and boy does he work those Pioneer CDJs to their limits! No, he wont just sit there, mix a tune in, have a cigarette/drink, cue the next tune and wait, wait, wait and mix again. He's at work WHILE the tunes are playing.

does it matter if it's Traktor? Traktor simply allows the DJ not to carry many vinyls/CDs (vinyls mainly) and offers effects directly from the software instead of forcing the DJ to bring an external effects processor like the Pioneer EFX500/1000 or relying on the club/bar to have a mixer with built-in effects like the DJMs or DenonX1500.
Traktor is HANDY before being anything else. OK, it's added seamless loop with quantize (a-la-Ableton) which is a bonus as you hardly have to adjust the B-end of a loop.

Some club/bar owners don't book musicians mate! They just want a DJ and if the music/style is bringing in the crowd, whether its technics 1210s, pioneer cdjs, traktor, car, plane, who gives a damn?

Only 1 thing will always come out of speakers no matter what medium/technique is used: and that's Music!

Kr.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:40 pm

I should make the distinction between a Live DJ and a Live PA.

OK, many clubs won't want the musician/Live PA doing his beat-repeat beeps & squeaks, but a Live DJ who can do everything vinyl/CDJ/Traktor DJs can do and MUCH more (live remixing, lighting, video) would seem much more appealing to an intelligent promoter/club/bar owner. (Oops.. contradiction in terms...)

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:02 pm

I hear what your saying.

But really - i dont think anyone cares if the DJ is using ableton or not - apart from trainspotters. If your music is good, your djing fluid (not beatmatching, but track selection / flow/ type of music) - then youll get booked - NOT because your using ableton.

I was djing the other week with quite a well known DJ and he was using live - Fuck me it was awful - beat repeat every 10 seconds. still get paid a few hundred quid for the privellage!!

If your booked for a live set then i think more people will care what your doing - Green Velevt played in Edinburggh not so long ago - did a live set... wich turned out to be him djing with cds and playing accapellas over the top with ableton . proper wrong.

Krugger

Post by Krugger » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:04 pm

Hambone1 >> To be honest with you, I totally agree with your comment there (the 2nd one!! :) )

However, I read a few articles here and there on the web and magazines etc and here's what the 'experts' are saying:

The hardware is letting people down (ok, we all know this) and there's yet not enough of a strong argument to get more DJs use the new tools out there.
On a similar note, DJs just love their big chunky decks/CD players etc with those huge luminous buttons as it's more fun/easier to work on.
I have to agree here. Bear in mind, the big names dont setup!! They just go to a club and it's all there - club setup, high spec, allen&heath, technics, pioneer, this/that.

Hence, if things were nicely laid out for you always, would you want tiny/compact tools or would you rather have chunky gear with big rotarys, buttons, faders etc? It's nicer to slam a fader with a full grip than 2 fingers fiddling a tiny fader.

See, when we go out there and tell them people to join the Live DJ era, they're like "oh that's cool, yeah, show me how it works"

And they are indeed impressed. I've shown many of my 'vinyl-obssessed' mates Ableton and they're all like "I Want This Thing!"

Until I explain the midi controller epic story ........... then they get bored.
They want to buy big name controllers because they're used to this sort of quality.
And they dont wanna carry a full keyboard that they'll never use just cause it's got midi controlling on it.

This is straight into my current headf*k of getting myself a controller and so far, looks like it's gonna be the 3X Bitstream

Kr.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:14 pm

Those DJs who like the chunky, Fisher-Price interfaces and can't/won't embrace the new technology for whatever reason/excuse will be history. It will just take some time. Live DJs who abuse the technology (beat-repeat to death, etc) are just going to make it more difficult not only for themselves but for the rest of us, too. And they extend the longevity of the vinyl/CDJ/Traktor guys.

It's all about talent. The Live DJ who can rock the crowd with tracks they know but are enhanced with Live's capabilities that are outside of the scope of Traktor, will rule.

Eventually.

My opinion only.

Regarding interfaces, for programming and gigging audio, video, and lighting, I've gotta spring for a Lemur. No chunky knobs and sliders, I know, but I choose to lead and not just follow what everyone else is doing. It might just be my downfall! :?

Krugger

Post by Krugger » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:29 pm

effort always pays. that's true.

true to say as well that the wrong use of tools is just disastrous.

that DJ geezer Zabiela - he's promoting the Pioneer EFX1000.
He's one of those kids with toys that just destroy the music the way the producer meant it to flow and you'll be lucky if you're ever able to listen to any of the tunes he's 'playing', with so effects/tricks in front.

I saw John Digweed use the EFX1000 and he should be the one promoting this kit. Subtle, right effects at right time, didn't murder the tracks, sometimes let them play nicely - Excellent.

Hey that Lemur thing is like evil man! Yes I'd want one too! But it's 2000dollars!
Although, how about max all credit cards and buy like 8 lemurs and do a matrix of controllers a-la-Jean Michel Jarre???
For you Sir? 16,000 dollars only.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:08 pm

Hmm... Lemur.. or food.. Lemur.. or food.. Lemur.. food..

Lemur! :D (Need to lose some weight, anyway...)

Krugger

Post by Krugger » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:15 pm

hey i downloaded JazzEditor - it keeps crashing

I know it needs the device but did u not say u managed to test it?