Tablet Laptops

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Gyro

Tablet Laptops

Post by Gyro » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:04 am

I've been thinking of getting a laptop, and I want something powerful enough to stand the type of DAW that'll let me play live. Are there any particular good websites for info on laptop specs that I could check out?
In the preliminary research I've done I've come across Toshiba's Protege range, which is a tablet laptop with a swivel screen, heres a link:
http://www.techforless.com/cgi-bin/tech ... bber#specs
The question I wanna ask people is would this be powerful enough to run all the software you run? What might you add/takeaway?

About the tablet:
I like the idea of a touch screen as it allows me to launch clips, change windows etc. without touching the mouse (cause we all know how long that takes :roll: ) anyway, does anyone here use a tablet? Is it worth getting considering that it may not last me as long as a normal screen?

THanks for indulgin me, I'd appreciate any guidance as I really wanna do this properley, cheers,
Gyro

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:26 am

I am considering a tablet for my next laptop as well, for size reasons mostly. I would opt go for a pc with a better cpu though. 1.7ghz pentium M is adequate (I use a 1.5 with no problems), but I'm definitely going for a significally faster processor next time.

Other than that, I really dig the fact that 1400x1050 12" laptops are coming out now - that's a serious DPI count! People with bad eye-sight should beware. :)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Gyro

Post by Gyro » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:30 am

Hey Machinate, good to see I'm not the only one with this idea. I'm looking at the Toshiba Protege range, they seem prety powerful. What brand are looking at getting?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:16 am

also the protegé, but it ships in 1.8ghz now, and by the time i've saved up it'll be even faster...

I may go for an acer though... they make 12" 2ghz machines (non-tablet) machines, that are affordable as well.

Gyro

Post by Gyro » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:30 am

Yeah the protege looks pretty darn snazzy. I'm thinking it would handle the job, it will be a while b4 I have the moola to get it, so I'll be looking around, I'll communicate any information I find out about it to you as I go along. All I know so far is that the M200 is the top of the Protege range, in your opinion though is it the best quality tablet laptop going? I just noticed it has only a 4.34hr on-time battery length!!!! 8O I'm not really sure if that is bad, but it doesn't sound that good.

What system are you using at the moment?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:57 am

It's not the best system available now, but the best tablet ;-)

I'm quite in love with the top of the line Acer 12" "wide-screen", , the travelmate 300x) series, which feature-wise is pretty killer - 6-pin firewire, bus-power on the usb and fw, 1gb of ram, 100GB hard disk, loads of cool stuff in there, and it still only weighs a few kilos. The main drawback here is the screen resolution, 1280x800... but on a 12" that's still pretty good.

Wrt the battery-life, that's probably because it's a tablet-pc, I would imagine that that kind of interface uses a bit more power.

So I'm currently pretty set on an ultra-portable for my next machine, but whether it will be a regular laptop or a tablet, only time will tell.