Why do so many producers use logic/mac?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:59 pm

If you dont want Mac and I agree it is not the best moment to get one, then get pc set for music, or find someone to built one for you. An expert will know better what to get, where etc, so in the end you might save time ( lots) and money too.

summersc2002

Post by summersc2002 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:33 am

Are there any experts out there? or should I just find something out of computer music and go off that?
some kind of emachine computer/ pentium 4/ 2.53 ghz/ 100gb HD/ 150gb HD/ 1gb RM/ live 5/ Ni Komplete 2/ delta 1010/ triggerfinger/ keystation pro 88/nord lead 2 rack

summersc2002

Post by summersc2002 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:08 am

I just got done reading an old issue of computer music and came across the red sumarine dual xeon professional audio system. It looks pretty decent, I already went to the website and copied all the parts down. In theory, I could just order all these parts except for the sound card, save a 1000 bucks or more, build this beast of a machine and would have a great system for a pretty good price. What do you guys think?

Chris
some kind of emachine computer/ pentium 4/ 2.53 ghz/ 100gb HD/ 150gb HD/ 1gb RM/ live 5/ Ni Komplete 2/ delta 1010/ triggerfinger/ keystation pro 88/nord lead 2 rack

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:26 am

summersc2002 wrote:Obviously I dont know shit about computers or I wouldn't be asking everyone for help. How much do you think I could build a bad ass computer for?
You best not fucking try to build your own computer! Geez? Can't you see the irony in the fact that you placed both these sentences consecutively?

Spend the money on a mac, or a Caroline, or some other built for audio computer. Otherwise people will really get ticked when you tell them you built your own PC, but don't know how to find out if any background processes are running in XP....... and you're stunned that you can't run 15 instances of Reactor on your new machine.

Sorry, could have watered that down, not trying to bust your balls, but seriously....

summersc2002

Post by summersc2002 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:34 am

Machine, If I wanted your smart mouth, I would have asked for it. Im not worried what anyone thinks of me if I want to build a comp or not . Im learning and asking for help.Give it or feel free not to post on the topic. Since your so interested in contradicting me, my friends build computers, and Im not running 15 tracks of reaktor either.

Chris

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:45 pm

summersc2002 wrote: Im learning and asking for help.
I'm done, you don't really have a clue, and you don't give enough information on your problems, and possible solutions in order to help you in the first place. For instance your last couple posts imply that you DON'T know any "experts", yet somehow I'm at fault for thinking you are going to attempt something beyond your abilities........ :roll:

phredbull

Post by phredbull » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:03 pm

I seem to recall reading something on the Digitalfishphones site about P4 processors spiking their cpu usage when some soft synths try to calculate extremely low levels. I think I've noticed this phenomenon with some VSTi's on my P4 machine. Supposedly he made a VST to correct this problem...

milfbait

Post by milfbait » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:57 pm

phredbull wrote:I seem to recall reading something on the Digitalfishphones site about P4 processors spiking their cpu usage when some soft synths try to calculate extremely low levels. I think I've noticed this phenomenon with some VSTi's on my P4 machine. Supposedly he made a VST to correct this problem...
Ah yes, the spiking is called "denormailzation", you can get around it by using a plug-in that injects a tiny bit of white noise in the signal path. AFAIK it only works with effects, not synths, since you can't pass the noise through a synth. I think this is mainly a problem with older plug-ins, but I'm not sure, I've never owned a P4.