what file storage service do you guys use ???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
starving student

what file storage service do you guys use ???

Post by starving student » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:20 pm

you know this is for file transfers if I'm collaborating with someone and i need to upload audio tracks that they can download, something that's fast so we can pass back and forth quickly/

any ideas?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:05 am

dropload.com - 100 meg limit
yousendit.com - up to a gigabyte, but not the fastest.
sendmefile.com - 30 meg limit

All work, none of them really well. My advice is to get an ftp up and running. Server space is super-cheap, and it's rather easy uploading and downloading from a server. Also, ftp-programs like FileZilla have resume-functions, which helps with iffy connections.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:47 pm

Get kdx, set up a server on your own machine, your buddy logs in and down/uploads directly from/to your machine. Excellent chat functions and even has voice chat built-in if you can be bothered. Super-simple and ultra secure-I use it every day working on gigabyte projects with people worldwide,it's sitting here open in front of me now, has been every day for the past year or so. Mac and PC supported and no monthly charges-a very well-spent $30 gets client and server apps.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:50 pm

muthafunka wrote:Get kdx, set up a server on your own machine, your buddy logs in and down/uploads directly from/to your machine. Excellent chat functions and even has voice chat built-in if you can be bothered. Super-simple and ultra secure-I use it every day working on gigabyte projects with people worldwide,it's sitting here open in front of me now, has been every day for the past year or so. Mac and PC supported and no monthly charges-a very well-spent $30 gets client and server apps.
Yeah. Kdx is pretty solid.
I used it before it went commercial.
Really secure and reliable.

fluid

Post by fluid » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:46 pm

AIM does the trick for my partner and I. It's not the fastest, or the flashiest, but it gets the job done. And obviously, you can chat while transferring.

I live in Mineesota and my parnter lives in Virginia, and I'm amazed at how easy it can be to collaborate with someone who lives 1125.8 miles away. Technology is a beautiful thing.

Krugger

Post by Krugger » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:13 pm

I just started using http://www.XDRIVE.com

it's 10$ a month for 5GB and the upload/download is pretty good.

10GB is around 20$.

You can do things online via a web interface or download its utility than actually maps a drive letter on your computer to the virtual space.
Pretty cool as you can simply upload something to drive W: (for example).

Sharing with people is dead easy too. You pick any folder u wanna share and they receive a link via email. After opening their own account (this time, it's free as they're not hosting their own file, rather sharing yours), they can view/download any files you're sharing with them.

Comes with 15days trial.

milfbait

Post by milfbait » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:12 am

I use BPFTP server. Just send them an ftp link and give them the login and pass, they can download it right from the web browser, or if they use something like Smart FTP, they can upload to you as well.