Not a revelation but oh so true!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tomperson

Post by tomperson » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:07 pm

Yeah, I think the article has a point, and I totally agree with IKEABOY. I was on that train too. Checking every frigging new VST plugin, reading and reading about others techniques and way of working and such, trying to reach some esotherical perfection point. Guess what, it never arrived, and now that I changed my mind and really got into production I have learned way more than when I was into an all-theoretical-perfectionist trip.

Its much more fun just playing with the lappie and see where it takes you.
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

dizzyj

Post by dizzyj » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:34 pm

I very much agree with the artical, and I used to sit and play with gear, fix gear, fix the laptop..etc..etc and never write songs.

now, i've limited myself. live, 1 synth, and my 88key controller. My partner has her voice, and her vdrums.

we dont edit. We do antoher take. We dont record anything we cant play, and we dont get bogged down with the minutia.

Its bass, drums, keys, voice, and pads...done. if a song cant be written with that, then we dont want to write it.

we can bang out a track pretty quickly now.

forge

Post by forge » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:30 pm

Ahh dont despair people....the gear lust and getting sidetracked is because we have been living in the single most prolific period in the creation of music technology tools EVER!!!!!
Never before in history has it been possible for ANYBODY the world over to design really decent quality synths and virtual FX, instruments etc etc

Only 5 years ago I was still on a pentium 2 266!! ....ONLY 5 YEARS AGO MY PC WAS LESS THAN A TENTH OF THE POWER OF WHAT I HAVE NOW!!!!!!

We're just playing catch up and it does take a bit longer than picking up a real instrument, but the results of these instruments FAR exceed their predecessors.

I live by the old saying "it takes 10 years to learn to play your instrument, then another 10 years to learn to play your instrument."

We've all been learning new instruments because we've never been able to do alot of these things before

I heard a radio special with Paul McCartney the other day from UKs radio 2 and one of the things he said that really inspired me was that he has millions of lost melodies and ideas for songs but his take on it was that the ones that are any good will stick and If he cant remember it the next day then how can he expect anyone else to.

We've all been on a production one over the last decaede because we've been exploring the new technologies, but you can bet alot of us who are feeling this now will start writing songs again only this time we'll have all this added knowledge and the production will come naturally because we spent all these years pissing about with vstis and gear lust.

I feel very excited about the stndard of production I can get now and I know it's only a matter of time before I write songs and because I know how to use the gear now the production standard will be up to scratch from the start, rather than how it used to be - writing a song then spending months trying to get the sound that's in my head but not knowing how.

None of this is wasted time, it's just harder to see end results because it takes longer and you have to work harder....

conny

Post by conny » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:36 am

Bye bye Retard... thanks for article.

Some back-to-basics kind of lust... keep coming to many of us, I guess.
And true and does then not totally make fools of us that likes to check out new things but I can sometimes feel trapped in gear... You know, news from KVR...

I have been trying to build a collection of software to produce/edit voice. Ring modulators, vocoders, voice synthesis etc. But I have very seldom used MY voice.

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:40 am

!HOUSE MUSIC!

computo

Post by computo » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:54 am

this article was written FAR too prematurely.

It should correctly be titled "Dont be a gear junkie"

SOrry, DAW's have altered the face of music, but not in the way this douche asserts.

You dont have to obsess over Pre's or interfaces.

You have to get down to business, and make GOOD MUSIC.

To assert that musicians have floundered because it is now EASIER to make good quality music, is fucking stupid.

It simply enables some, and disables others.

Sorry, its not about studios or computers, its about the desire to produce. Not buy.