Pentium 4 vs. Pentium M

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lesterdiamond

Pentium 4 vs. Pentium M

Post by lesterdiamond » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:41 am

Can anyone who has experiences with these processors shed some light on their disadvantages/advantages, I have been noticing that more of the newer laptops have the pentium but with less ghz. Is it always better to go with more ghz?

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:55 am

Pentium 4 is a desktop processor, that is being used in some laptops these days... like the laptop I recently bought.

Pentium M is a laptop processor which Intel developed specifically for that purpose. The Pentium M runs cooler than the Pentium 4. It is also more efficient, so a lower clock speed Pentium M can still hold it's own against a faster clock speed Pentium 4. You can see this in the Live Performance Test threads.

I think for most people, the Pentium M is a good choice:

If you're looking for a laptop with good performance, for a low price.... the Pentium M is for you.

If you want a lightweight laptop with good performance, the Pentium M is for you.

If you want a laptop that doesn't get super hot, and run fans all the time... the Pentium M is for you.

The advantages to Pentium 4:

Pentium 4 chips tend to be put into larger laptops, that offer more internal gear like multiple hard drives, multiple DVD or CD drives, larger screens, better graphics cards, etc...

I recently bought a Pentium 4 laptop, to use specifically with Ableton Live. I chose Pentium 4 because the laptop I got has 2 hard drives, that are both SATA drives.... and they are in a Raid 0 config. Raid 0 doubles your hard drive speeds, by splitting data between 2 drives. So I have 160 gigs of space, and it's very fast.

Drawbacks are that my laptop is big and heavy, and gets hotter than the hubs of hell. But since I use this box solely while plugged in... I'm not very concerned about the battery life, or weight. It easily fits in a Targus laptop backback I have, along with my MIDI controller and soundcard.

liquidfx

Post by liquidfx » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:45 am

agreed. pentium M are better for laptops.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:58 am

I had a Pentium 4 3.06Ghz laptop and just bought a P-M 2.0Ghz laptop.

The 2.0Ghz does have a faster bus speed and blows the pants off the Pentium 4. I didn't think it would be that much faster, but it is. It's also so bloody quiet unlike the P4 which needed some pretty big fans.

-tim

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:55 am

There is also the case with the poor guy in the performance thread that bought a P4 laptop from HP (?) that was nominally 3 GHz, but deliberately underclocked to 2 GHz so it wouldn't melt. Borders on fraud if you ask me.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:06 pm

I have a pentium M 2.0 and a pentium4 2.5ghz desktop.

the pentium M is almost exactly twice as fast for Live.

I wouldn't buy a p4, too hot, too fat, too slow.

elemental

Post by elemental » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:47 pm

read an interesting article about how the P4 technology is at a dead end, and the Pentium M is actually based on the PIII achitecture, and is the best path forward for faster processors from intel.

cant find the link now

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:08 pm

I have a 1.6Ghz HP Pentium M. It's thin, quiet and small. My point of buying a laptop was having a MOBILE rig, and that should be your goal, If you ask me. I see no need for hyperfantastic earth shattering specs on a laptop. If I wanted to have the coolest, fastest, computer of the neighborhood, I would assemble a normal PC on my own. But to each his own I guess...

Oh! And get a backpack for carrying the thing, more comfortable than those "mail bags", you won't regret it!
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:27 pm

history of the development of centrino by the Israeli wing of Intel ... no, not Mossad 8O

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=1800
geekage

poshook

Post by poshook » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:42 pm

yes, my PentiumM1.6GHz was as fast in Live as my desktop AMD64/3000+.
P4 is the worst processor in Intel history

doctorbooty

Post by doctorbooty » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:55 am

subterFUSE wrote: I recently bought a Pentium 4 laptop, to use specifically with Ableton Live. I chose Pentium 4 because the laptop I got has 2 hard drives, that are both SATA drives.... and they are in a Raid 0 config. Raid 0 doubles your hard drive speeds, by splitting data between 2 drives. So I have 160 gigs of space, and it's very fast.
subterFUSE: where did you get your laptop? I'm searching around for a new one, and those specs sound mighty nice.

Also, I didn't quite understand why you went with the Pentium 4 over the Pentium M - is the 4 better for your HD configuration?

Thanks!

JFK

Pentium M in a desktop?

Post by JFK » Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:22 am

Are Pentium M CPU available in desktop configs then?

rasputin

Post by rasputin » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:20 pm

elemental wrote:read an interesting article about how the P4 technology is at a dead end, and the Pentium M is actually based on the PIII achitecture, and is the best path forward for faster processors from intel.

cant find the link now
I think that's actually true; again I read somewhere that Intel abandoned plans for a 4 GHz (?) P4 since they couldn't get it to work within the power and heat constraints they needed... If I were to buy a new system now it would be a P-M / Centrino portable; in a couple years I think there will be a new technology.

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:06 pm

doctorbooty wrote:
subterFUSE wrote: I recently bought a Pentium 4 laptop, to use specifically with Ableton Live. I chose Pentium 4 because the laptop I got has 2 hard drives, that are both SATA drives.... and they are in a Raid 0 config. Raid 0 doubles your hard drive speeds, by splitting data between 2 drives. So I have 160 gigs of space, and it's very fast.
subterFUSE: where did you get your laptop? I'm searching around for a new one, and those specs sound mighty nice.

Also, I didn't quite understand why you went with the Pentium 4 over the Pentium M - is the 4 better for your HD configuration?

Thanks!
I got my laptop from M-Tech. http://www.mtechlaptops.com

I chose Pentium 4 because you can't get dual hard drives on a Pentium M laptop. I wanted the Raid config.

liquidfx

Post by liquidfx » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:23 pm

I say who cares. Pentium shmentium. P4 has already been declared a dead end. New architectures are already waiting to replace it!

I'm waiting for my new Powerbook with the Apple Specific/Intel designed Modum chip running at an amazing 5 watts! 8O Not only that but, they will probably incorporate Blu-Ray DVD technology into them (as recently announced jointly by Apple, MGM, Sony, Columbia, Disney, etc).

Next gen Powebooks will finally arrive in mid-late 2006/early 2007.

I already have my checkbook out. :D