former crack user, now owner

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rikhyray

Re: former crack user, now owner

Post by rikhyray » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:48 am

rikhyray wrote: either you are stupid or you think Ableton are retarded, or Ableton users are idiots. If however it is true , what you write, my cheap advice ALWAYS THINK before you write, if you analise a bit what I wrote you will know what I mean........ to format HD is the safest way.
I gave options, choice was yours.

the shoe

Post by the shoe » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:50 am

Johnisfaster wrote:no, but I expected not to be called stupid in the second reply of my first post. thats why I got upset to begin with cause the second replys entire attitude toward me was totally uncalled for.
still doesn't get it. fucking retard

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:51 am

I'm not trying to endourse cracking software. the reason I bought it is because I decided they deserved my money in exchange for the software I was enjoying so much.

and actually I hadn't even noticed I could remove posts. I would have done that already starting with the second reply.

I understand ableton is a very cool company, that is why I didn't think it would be a problem stating that I had cracked stuff and decided to buy it(if I hadn't bought it and I was coming here to talk about using cracks I can see why people would be hostile but this is not the case). I would tell the owner of the company this with no shame because I HAVEEEEE bought it and therefor all wrongs are made right in my mind. it's like eating a pizza and then paying for it when you're done. the pizza place still got their money. I mean what should I send them extra money for all the time I used it before I paid? come on...

anyway I'm not going to reply to this topic anymore.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:53 am

do I really deserve to be called retarded by the way? that is really really uncalled for...

the shoe

Post by the shoe » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:57 am

Johnisfaster wrote: anyway I'm not going to reply to this topic anymore.
then he posts again. i take it all back 8) [/quote]

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:58 am

geez guys give the man a break, lets not get like the propellerheads forum. Why should you punish honesty with calling the guy retarded?

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:02 am

I replied again because you've all made me too fu**ing pis*ed off to keep my mouth shut and frankly I'm working very hard to stay civil toward people who have successfully called me retarded and stupid several times and completely have not even tried to understand where I'm coming from. at least emissary has some decency.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:04 am

Emissary wrote:geez guys give the man a break, lets not get like the propellerheads forum. Why should you punish honesty with calling the guy retarded?
yeah, i agree.
everybody make mistakes now and then. he doesn't seem to mean no harm...

take it easy dudes, he's not the first, he won't be the last to post such stuff.
so let's moderate ourselves and let this thread R.I.P.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:07 am

thank you soooooo much peedrroo

is there a way to delete entire threads? this one could probably use it for all of our sakes.

Hervé

Post by Hervé » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:10 am

In short terms, if you want to try a software :
- Download the demo
- If you like it, save money to buy it
:wink:
But please, dont take the habit to browse the warez, support the people you like from the begining.¨

:)

Krugger

Post by Krugger » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:27 am

I got a crack version too before I bought the thing.

But there's logic to it. The demo version does not allow SAVE as we all know. Now, I dont think not being able to save allows me to properly test it. I cant be expected to start setting up a set and go along with it while evaluating the result >> all in 1 go and until I finish I can't quit the frigging software!!
I'd like to start it, mess about, save some ideas etc, do something else (ex: use Reason), come back tomorrow and check out Ableton some more BUT picking up where I left it not restarting again!!!
That's plain rubbish!
A time deadline on the app would have been better (say 15 days) but you can still save your work.

I write software for a living and do understand the frustration of knowing someone's using your hard work freely without any cash input whatsoever (even if the software actually belongs to the company i work for and not me personally)

It's the intention that matters in the end I guess. I didn't get a crack copy to take the piss. I got it cause I didn't agree with the demo-version policy which I found too restrictive.
My intention was always to buy it if I was happy with it and wanted to keep it (and I did)
Me not buying it would have meant that the software would have been un-installed from my laptop because I didn't think much of it.

Kr.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:41 am

to be honost I almost said the same exact thing a little while ago but due to the state of how I was being viewed by everyone I decided it would be completely mistaken and I would be crucified. :)

the fact is I've used demos before and decided to buy the product only to realise that when you really dig deep into the program and spend alot of time in it that it's a piece of crap. so I agree with you that the typical no save demo is far too restricting to truely evaluate how useful a program is going to be for you.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:45 am

please have a look at the dozens of similar pointless threads and let this one die.
thanks.

louZ

Post by louZ » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:11 pm

What, did nobody catch the humour in the thread title???

"former crack user, now owner"

Anyway, give the guy a break. Loads of people use cracked versions first, either because they have no money, or because they want to thoroughly test the software. As long as they buy the software later, what's the big deal?

The whole mic stealing analogy is not working either, since the kid didn't actually steal anyone's copy of Ableton. One could say that by not paying straight away the development of the software slows down, but he does pay later, so he still finances the development at that point.

forge

Post by forge » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:40 pm

sheesh...first cracked software flame war in at least..ooh 3 weeks??

I really dont get these ultra puritan ideas where people feel the need to deride someone to that extent because they used a crack and then bought the program. I agree with the comments about the demo not saving etc, but the bottom line is this guy BOUGHT it so now he is a registered Live user and thereby every bit as entitled to post here as the rest of us, without being called a fucking retard etc etc. People who get any real use out of a program usually end up buying it.

There seems to be a kind of moral code in the software world where people know piracy exists, and it's a hazard of the industry. I know professional developers who never think twice about using cracks.

Live is actually one of the few programs I didnt start using as a crack because I first tried dleta v1.5 off an M-Audio CD with the DUo I used to have and was instantly converted, so much so that I had to have it then and there.

It's a tough world where the way to stand out is to be good enough at what you do - and Ableton are certainly standing out these days, not to mention doing much better than most of their users who will probably have their music ripped off but never see any money for it.

Emissary was right, let's not go the way of the propellerheads....