former crack user, now owner

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
netchaiev

Post by netchaiev » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:25 am

Welcome Dude! and yes this is not the end of those cracks vs Paid-for issue, posts.
I too was frustated by demo limits in 2.5, got a crack for a couple of month, then 3 came and I bought it right off, and all the upgrade since.... :wink:

Well let this post RIP.
MBP 2011/i7/10.8/Live 8 Suite/M4L+Launchpad+TF+KorgNano.
http://soundcloud.com/netchaiev
http://www.vimeo.com/user408737

summersc2002

Post by summersc2002 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:48 am

What up bro? Dont let a few bad eggs ruin this place. This is a really great forum. Alot of knowledgable people out here and most of your questions get answered pretty quickly. Ive been here almost a year, and have learned alot. Enjoy.

Chris
some kind of emachine computer/ pentium 4/ 2.53 ghz/ 100gb HD/ 150gb HD/ 1gb RM/ live 5/ Ni Komplete 2/ delta 1010/ triggerfinger/ keystation pro 88/nord lead 2 rack

BeyondReazon

Post by BeyondReazon » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:05 am

A war with a happy ending I can feel the love in the room...............

Another vote for a full timeout demo here.

Plus the thing that really makes me laugh about this forum are the hardcore posters that complain EVERY time a topic is repeated from newer members................hmmmm ableton forum addiction JUST DON'T READ IT! too much surfing and not enough music making!!!

forge

Post by forge » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:00 pm

BeyondReazon wrote:.... too much surfing and not enough music making!!!
quite the opposite here, internet rubbish is the thing I do when I have a union regulated 15 minute break, it's why I'm getting so fat because rather than physically walking into the other room when I have a break I sit here still and have a virtual break in a virtual other room

dodgyedgy

Post by dodgyedgy » Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:09 pm

My names dodge and i used a cracked copy too.

Now i own it.

:P

Good program.

Loads missing on it mind - but thats another story ;)

DubGusset

Post by DubGusset » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:29 pm

FaX-01 wrote:
DubGusset wrote:Long Live Software Cracks!

C
Troll :roll: 8O :lol: .
Oh you flatter me. I prefer the term 'crack ho'.

C

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:15 pm

I love how the author of this thread sardonically refers tohimself as a former "crack" user, and yet people still feel the need to attack him.

By his own volition he is representing

All the these playa-haters ought to chill.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:50 pm

thanks again everyone

motionsiren

Post by motionsiren » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:46 pm

No worries. I've done this with plenty of software, many people do. Im just running the demo now (on OS X) as im to poor to afford it and but I plan to asap.

Wish they had a "For broke ass kids still trying to get into the feild" pricing. I mean.. Im going to be in my bedroom learning this thing for a while before I even play out, let a lone get really good with it, and music.

3D animation packages do this with "Learnign Editions". Full version, only that when they render there animations, the size and quality of the video is small and limited (watermarks, etc.). I guess they have an easier market for such methods tho, since the studios buy bulk licensing. With music, it could be a studio, or your bedroom... not really a defined space.

While im at it. Check out www.blender3d.org . it's a free 3D modeling/animation suite and uses a widget set very similar to Live.

Anyone interested in developing a GPL'd live mock-up using there toolkit? ;)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:11 am

motionsiren wrote:Wish they had a "For broke ass kids still trying to get into the feild" pricing. I mean.. Im going to be in my bedroom learning this thing for a while before I even play out, let a lone get really good with it, and music.
Credit cards are for people who cannot afford to lay down $400 all at once. it's pretty easy to get a credit card with a $500 limit, and there you go, a legit licensed copy of live.

OK I used cracked DAWs and VST in the past, and I don't now. I know one thing though, the real people that get hurt by crack are the plug in developers, people assume that the price is too high for a particular plug in, and never pay for it.

I'm not saying anybody in particular is guilty of this, but people assume that since it's expensive etc. it's OK to steal it.
For instance I could go on Limewire and find a copy of Altiverb, and try to justify it by thinking to myself that it's street price is still out of my range...

People do this all the time, friends of mine do, I tell them what I think about it, but WTF?

Anyway, I'm glad people are paying for Live, and I hope that means they are paying for all the VST and AU on their computer too.

louZ

Post by louZ » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:13 am

if you're a student, you can get Live for half the price.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:23 am

I think its totaly allwright when former hack users decide to buy a software they really use and show this in public as a good example.
Ableton would be pretty happy when every one that found ableton Live usefull in theire productions would do the same.

I also doubt that the people that used the hard words here never had a hacked software on theire computers.
Never ever ? No movie, no song?

And even when this would be the case there is no reason to use hard words because hacked software of any kind is a reality and a problem that only can be solved when people decide themself to purchase the original stuff...dont matters if this is music..a film ..or a music program.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:45 am

Machinesworking wrote:
People do this all the time, friends of mine do, I tell them what I think about it, but WTF?

Anyway, I'm glad people are paying for Live, and I hope that means they are paying for all the VST and AU on their computer too.
There is some kind of hacker ethics..and the people that are able to hack well protected applikations often stick to that..At least it was in the past like that..
You also can see that certain software gets rarly or late hacked because some respected hackers even work for software companys...

These hacker ethics basically says that every software should be accessible by everybody ..dont matters if you are rich or poor... But as soon you really use it you have to buy it..the hacks are just to evaluate...study and learn...
perfect demos..

Ok..helps the hackers to justify theire doing..and also helps some graphics talent to get a good job without beeing able to study on the expensiv university where they have a workstation with maya running...
Its a pretty anarchistic szene... and there are some good points about it..
Some software sells better when you have people that are able to use it.

Its however a problem for many software companys..especially when you go into the area of fun and toys...
Musical instruments are related to that area..And many people benefit from them without creating income with the software..So hacker ethics fails a bit.. However..

If at least these hacker ethics would be respected, the picture would look allready better..

Means..When you do a gig with live...
And get some cash...half of it is for the safings to buy the program..that is the least you can do when you really cant afford it...
And when you spend in 3 months more on cigarettes and beer than on your favorite toy.. Than you also dont do enough to justify your evaluation period.

Just philosphical view on the item...dont use hacks ! :-)

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:58 am

i used crack before 2

now i'm hooked on the high class shit

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:08 am

motionsiren wrote:While im at it. Check out www.blender3d.org . it's a free 3D modeling/animation suite and uses a widget set very similar to Live.
I downloaded that software a long time ago. It does a really good job of sitting on my desktop!

Can't figure out if it's the time or the Gajonez, but I need to get on that stat!