What are the big changes inside Live 5

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
chris vine

What are the big changes inside Live 5

Post by chris vine » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:51 pm

Even though I upgraded to 5, I have been in the middle of theatre tour and after seeing some of the CPU and other glitches people were getting with Live 5, I decided to stay on the fence until 5.0.2 because I figured the company lappy I am using onstage wouldn't be able to take any extra work.

Anyway, I read the posts most days and my question is: why so many probs?
Is the application really that more CPU intensive? Or are we just dealing with (hopefully) a few glitches that will get ironed out with 5.0.2?

I know I should bite the bullet and install, but until the last gig this year is over (this month), I remain cautious!

Best wishes,
Chris

Athlon 2600, 1 gig ddr 333 ram, Samsung Spinrite 160g 7200, M audio FW410, XP sp1
Tosh-iba whatever, P4 2.8ghz, 750mb RAM, Xp sp2, tosh-iba slow HD, FW410

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:29 pm

they re-wrote core functions to enable the new features.

EG:
live clips,
the loop / start / preview / clip controls
mp3 caching
the timestretching algos

the only things that bug me are the VST load error messages at startup, and my need for 'shift+click' for clip preview, to stop me accidentally leaping around a clip

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:02 pm

Thanks,

So 5 is a bigger departure from the previous versions..............

Seems like some folks are having probs with the mp3 caching, until it gets sorted I'd just keep converting the ones I need to wavs or aiffs.

ernene

Post by ernene » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:15 pm

if this could help you, leaving on a side the small things and the changes we still have to get used to, I'm just suffering some glitches and nothing else. I'm on a PBook G4 and the performance improved on a 3-4 % on the CPU meter, no big deal, but not worst al all. And have to say that I'm not having crashes all the time as I used to have with v.4 with a couple of vsti loaded. Now I'm squeezing my lappy, and when it asks me please stop!, I just freeze all I need to freeze, and go on... but yeh, it's a studio work, not on stage.
My 2 cents

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:23 pm

Sorry, nothing valuable to add except that I love this:

Seems like such a bizarre contrast.
Image Image

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:22 pm

polyslax wrote:Sorry, nothing valuable to add except that I love this:

Seems like such a bizarre contrast.
You have no idea............ :wink:
Most people reckon I am crazy but Wales is more beautiful but the food there sucks........won't talk about the girls................javascript:emoticon('8O')
Shocked

"if this could help you, leaving on a side the small things and the changes we still have to get used to, I'm just suffering some glitches and nothing else. I'm on a PBook G4 and the performance improved on a 3-4 % on the CPU meter, no big deal, but not worst al all. And have to say that I'm not having crashes all the time as I used to have with v.4 with a couple of vsti loaded. Now I'm squeezing my lappy, and when it asks me please stop!, I just freeze all I need to freeze, and go on... but yeh, it's a studio work, not on stage."

Funny, I NEVER had any crashes with v4 on a G$ (oops, nice typo) powerbook...although when using Live, uh, Live - out of caution I do keep the plug ins to a bare minimum. Actually, I don't like to see the CPU meter hit over 30% - just paranoid, I guess. Or a windows user. :lol:

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:14 pm

Live 5 is latencie compensated and has track delays...
It surprises me that anybody was able to work with midi without these features.
So live 5 is the first Live where you really can work with external hardware...
thats quite something.

And..

You can export clips...
Imagine all the funky clips you ve created in your Live time in one arrangement..This is possible now...

And a feature that especially helps creating live performances.

And a dosent other new things...

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:47 pm

I must say live 5 is working great on my g4, I've only experienced a few small problems when using certain 3rd party plugs simply because I suspect they were written really badly.

although I would agree that if I was on a tour and all had been going smooth so far that I wouldn't recommend changing ANYTHING on your computer until you have some down time. I wouldn't even install a new plug or even install operating system updates until the tour was over. thats just me. but once your tour is over I say go ahead and get live 5.

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:12 pm

Thanks guys, I am looking forward to installing.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:16 pm

The grain delay changed too. That clicky sound is gone when you move frequencies.
Although you can still have the Live 3 style grain delay as an option.txt.

I agree with the others. Change after you finished your tour.
Some things could sound different. (not always the case though)