Edited

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DanClarke

Edited

Post by DanClarke » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:07 pm

EDITED
Last edited by DanClarke on Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

inis

Post by inis » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:04 pm

You arent hot-pluggint it are you?

DanClarke

Post by DanClarke » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:06 pm

What does that mean?

incinereight

Post by incinereight » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:07 pm

hate to the bearer of bad news but that exact same thing happened to me. It worked fine for a while then bam the firewire port stopped working.

I talked to ne of the support supervisors at M-Audio and he said it had to to with theway the firewire port is implemented on the macs.

Basically he said if you just plug in the firewire while the computer is on and the audiophile is on if frys your firewire port.

He offerd to have me send in my audiophile but since it worked on my other laptop I didn't want to send it off.

So, basically the Audiophile will fry your firewire port unless you power things up in a very specific order.

hope that helps

-m

DanClarke

Post by DanClarke » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:13 pm

EDITED
Last edited by DanClarke on Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skrikin

Post by Skrikin » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:18 pm

Yeah the guys mans right there. You have to do all your connections while the computer is turned off. You should have got a slip when you bought the product it was inside the box explaining this problem. Sounds like it's gonna have to go back again sorry bud.

Just make sure your computer is turned off before you connect firewire devices!!!!
Powerbook 15", 1.25Ghz, 512 Ram, M-Audio Firewire Audiophile, Uc-33e, Allen Heath Xone 32, 1210's, Oxygen 8, Kaoss Pad II, Peavey Grabber.

Live 5
Reason 3.0
Recycle 2.1

DanClarke

Post by DanClarke » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:30 pm

Edited
Last edited by DanClarke on Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

pearsonart.com

Post by pearsonart.com » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:29 pm

I have the same situation with my mac mini. The firewire ports ALWAYS provide power to external devices, even when the mini is off. To avoid hotplugging, I have to make sure the powerbutton is off on the audiophile or unplug the mini's power cable.

M-audio is officially adamant that this is Apple's problem but a tech support guy there expressed his frustration with me on the phone a few days ago. He admitted that it's not new, imacs also implemented firewire this way.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an updated audiophile driver that incorporates some kind of buffer or power up delay sequence.

Oh, if you like to run the free Onyx utility for OS X. Be warned that it wipes your midi connection to the audiophile. Afterwards, I've had to repeat the entire deinstallation / power down / power off audiophile / power up / install / power down mini / power up audiophile / power up mini / restore settings etc...

There's got to be a better way. Onyx is one of the great little freeware maintenance utilities for OS X. In 2 years of using it, I've never had any problems with anything until the audiophile.

inis

Post by inis » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:43 am

while i will agree that its probably apple's problem, i think M-audio should try to take some neccessary steps to make their products hot-plug proof. I dont think apple will jump on board as quickly.

netchaiev

Post by netchaiev » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:49 am

like others, the FW card brought me some probs, like the inability to use the FW800 port for an external HD and the Audiophile at the same time (audio dropouts, etc..)
But never had any problem besides. What I do is connect the card to my PB then put it on . When I'm done with it, turn it off then unplug. My HD is on the USB2 port now or recently tried chaining it to the Audiophile: it works!!
There's a new driver at M-audio, I dunno if it helped for sure but now it's cool.
I still gotta check if I can use the two FW ports but I doubted it since I heard that basically, you only have one FW bus on Apple books!!!!
I did also plug my ipod to the Audiophile and it works great.
MBP 2011/i7/10.8/Live 8 Suite/M4L+Launchpad+TF+KorgNano.
http://soundcloud.com/netchaiev
http://www.vimeo.com/user408737

Ricka

Post by Ricka » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:11 pm

Hello, I'm just titting around looking at posts. Noticed yours, I've got a FW Audiophile also. Be careful with sleep mode on the Mac. Power on the Audiophile after the computer wakes up, if it does not recognise it power it off and wait 30 seconds before trying again. Works for me and probably the same on PC. Hope this helps. Rich C.
G5 iMac, 2GHZ, 2GB RAM, 250GB hard disk, 128MB graphics, Firewire Audiophile, M-Audio 02

DanClarke

Post by DanClarke » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:55 pm

Edited
Last edited by DanClarke on Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

eMmZee

** Too Risky **

Post by eMmZee » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:55 am

Skrikin wrote: Just make sure your computer is turned off before you connect firewire devices!!!!
That's no fun! I'm owning a PowerBook which I'm dragging around a lot.
I'm used to put it asleep and plug in and out USB and FW gadgets under whatever condition. I'm sure there will be a moment where I forget to shutdown the notebook and then I get the only FW port on this system fried?
Can't take that risk since it will happen at the worse moment (before a rehearsal or gig etc.).

What's an alternative audio box with at least 6 inputs you guys can recommend?

Thanks, Michael.
My first DAW software: Live 3 on a PowerBook 15" w/ MacOS X 10.3. Switched straight from Fostex R-8 & Steinberg Cubase/Atari back then. :P

ebenhero

Post by ebenhero » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:42 am

I've got a powerbook and hotplug all the time (didn't know I wasn't meant to). Haven't had a problem. Does this only effect iMacs and iBooks?

pearsonart.com

Post by pearsonart.com » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:13 pm

...Imacs, Ibooks, Emacs and MacMinis to my knowledge but I'd stop hotplugging the audiophile if I were you. Who wants to risk it?