What is a good place for Live-er to start in MAX/MSP?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
minimal

Post by minimal » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:17 pm

great link apalomba this book look very helpful!

janklug

Post by janklug » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:51 pm

no, live is for sure not *built* in max/msp.. but as far as i know, some of the ideas of how the perfect audio software should look like were developed with the help of that nice piece[s] of software!

a very good source of inspiration and learning can be to work together with other max users; if they don't run around in your neighbourhood then there is a very active mailing list (for example, just for today more than 80 posts of feature suggestions, duscussions, tips, questions & solutions... can be a bit much sometimes ;-)

and also having a look in other peoples patches can be very rewarding - as inspiration, or as a source of things that you would do differently..
next to the tutorials (& the examples folder), there's the sharing part on cycling74's page. as a live use (& someone who talked about a drum machine), i guess you'll be interested in the things @ http://www.cycling74.com/share/monolake/ :D
you have to have ALOTTA time on your hand to do something like that. And personally, i'd rather be making music that spending 9 days making a tone generator that can beep "mary had a little lamb" in Sine waves.
no really, a week should be enough for that ;-)
(after some months of studying of course)

and now some random advice before i go to sleep
(have to be maxing early tomorrow ;-) ):
avoid segmented patchcords!
make comments in your patches to remind you what they do!
have fun!
good luck,

jan
MacBookPro 2.33Ghz 2Gb, OSX 10.5.8

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:27 am

Wow, thanks for all of the input!

I've spent today's limited free time trying to get things to install. For some reason there was a delay on my serial number, and I can't run the demo (tried it out for a brief second, way-back when.)

I'm gonna grab some zzz's so I can focus on it tommorrow.

Oh yeah, I ordered that pink book yesterday, and I will look into the other one that was mentioned.

I downloaded PD way back, but I want to explore MAX, ultimately so that I can navigate well with the Lemur, once it has been lowered, ebayed, or I can afford it.

red_wedge

Post by red_wedge » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:39 am

Well this is nice...

I just started to go throught the Max tutorials again. This will actually be my third attemept - for some reason I've always got to chapter 11 and then got distracted.
Now I'm finally past the chapter 11 barrier, but I'd forgotten about that option click help cleverness.

To be honest the math scares the willies out of me, but I'll keep at it. I'd really like to play with one of those I-CubeX systems one day. I have some ideas for some installations I'd like to explore...

I have that Winkler book but I'll check out the other one too.

computo

Post by computo » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:39 am

you should check out the doepfer instrument design options...

a LOT less expensive than I cube...

janklug

Post by janklug » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:44 am

computo wrote:you should check out the doepfer instrument design options...

a LOT less expensive than I cube...
...or the miditron by eric singer!
20 terminals that can be inputs or outputs - and configured in max!

jan

red_wedge

Post by red_wedge » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:11 am

janklug wrote:...or the miditron by eric singer!
jan

kewl! that is quite a bit cheaper than the iCube!! I alwyas wondered why ICube was so expensive, and why their prices seem to change so randomly.

But, i guess you could also use their sensors with the miditron? Is that right?

janklug

Post by janklug » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:24 am

red_wedge wrote: But, i guess you could also use their sensors with the miditron? Is that right?
yes, should be possible.
anything that produces voltages between 0 and 5 volt (or *can* be controlled with such a voltage) should be possible to use with the miditron; other voltage ranges can be tweaked...

jan

liquidfx

Post by liquidfx » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:51 pm

Actually live was built/sketched in Max/Msp. So was Ms.Pinky (which looks suspiciously like Live), DjDecks, Pluggo, Operator, etc.

Live was *originally* a Max/Msp program. Before it went totally commercial.

All the most innovative stuff is sketched in Max/Msp. Then ported to C++.

:wink:

computo

Post by computo » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:35 pm

Miditron is not the best solution for some device designs.

Anything involving piezos or drum triggering isnt going to work best with that, as its not optimized for use with those types of signals. But, apparently Eric is going to update the firmware sometime in the future, so soon it will be rocking for all purposes.

Erics a really cool guy also, so direct any questions to him. I bought a goldbrick from him a while back. Really nice guy. And a total Whiz.