All times are UTC

Post subject: Numerology
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 10:40 pm 

Anyone tried hooking this up to MIDI inputs within Live?

-- http://www.five12.com/numerology.html

This looks like it might be a way to add MIDI sequencing to objects and effects parameters in Live.

-Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:14 am 
Alex, I've been working with five12 on this issue( getting Live and Numerology to play nicely) for quite some time, and it's looking very good. Numerology is an Excellent app for live sequencing, VERY flexible and designed from the ground up to work in performance.

I am working to get the intergration happening better... currently there are midi clock issues which i believe are in Live.

Everyone on OSX should go and grab the demo (when available) though. The more feedback about how important numerology-live cooperation is, the better, and the more the two apps will run nicely.

Also, If you are savy with the max side of things, then it seems Jmax is working pretty nicely these day - i have designed a little patch to take a single midi event (like a floor switch), and have it 'fill up' all slots in Live by sending different midi notes each time and keeping track of it)

currently in testing, more soon. This will allow OSX live users (and I suppose anyone who can run Jmax) to have Live be a bit 'smarter' when overdubbing clips.

but, go and check out numerology, very musical in many ways.

-SongCarver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:19 pm 

I've just started to look at Numerology - would anyone care to update this thread with the current state of play e.g. with Live 2.1/Numerology 1.14 (or 1.2 beta)?
cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:35 pm 

I've been using it with Reason (slaved to Live).

Very handy for sequencing some quick melodies without a keyboard.

-Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:54 am 

AU's are upcoming are are (?) now supported in numerology, but I don't think there is a way to rewire at low cost $ into Live... I think Rax may provide some answers in the near future.

I think the biggest turning point will be when the 'scene' concept, or similar is included in numerology..as well as the ability to record midi into the step-time sequencer.

I'm not sure how much I can say here, but it's definantly something to keep an eye on.

currently it is actually quite useful (in combo with reason) for generating ever-changing patterns, and is a MUCH better sequencer than any of the Reason step time implementations.

It is also fun if you get Numerology to trigger live events, so then you can have a track with a number of clips which are triggered in order, or randomly etc...can provide useful variation and a simple type of automation.

-Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:06 am 

I too, am smitten with Numerology! Think of an improvising sequencer...

Cheap, fun, and rock solid, what's not to like.

Carver, I think you could simply add either 'master preset groups' or midi controllable preset selection to get the effect you're looking for (Scenes a la Live). I'll drop a note on the numerology group discussion next time I'm over that way.

Anyone with OSX and midi (tone generating) hardware lying around should sit down with Numerology for an evening!

-fugu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:10 am 

thanks for that fugu, I'll give it a try.

I look forward to recording..that will be the real-kickstarter for me using it in sets.

Keitho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:28 am 

Followed the advice and downloaded the demo.
Must say I like it. The interface is clearly inspired by Live I would say.

However I didnt get it working when trying to sync with Live or Reason.
Any wisdom on this?? Songcarver or others.

With AU support this is really something with a big S.

C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:31 pm 

Are you hosting a software clock from Live? Numerology? MIDIClock? Hardware clock?

-Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:05 am 

Hey Credo,

You can specify a midi port out from Numerology and a midi in port in Live. or vice versa.

Personally I like to keep a copy of Midipipe running, which makes a lot of this easier. (Some OS X apps won't recognize a new virtual midi stream which appeared once they have already been running)

Midi clock between usually does fine.

I would probably run numerology first, as Live is the older and less flexible app with regards to midi detection on-the-fly.

Hope that helps,

-SongCarver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:26 am 

Thanx for response

I have tried both ways with reason and Live but nothing is synced to anything. Obviously I am missing something...

This is how I do it:

* both apps started I set Num:Midiclock:Send to Numerolgy out 1
* Live ... ok I just got Live to sync!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
...I found that other setting "Midi input sync type" must be set to "midi clock"
* I also get reason to sync today... but this I cant explain.

Hope my confusion can be of help to others

C :D