Acid pro 5 user debating on Live 5

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The Scientist

Acid pro 5 user debating on Live 5

Post by The Scientist » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:07 am

Wassup guys. I currently own Acid pro 5 as mentioned above. I'm kind of hesitent on learning a whole new program. From what I hear its really user friendly. I have messed with the demo a little, and can be frustrating at times. Due to the fact that I can zoom thru Acid with ease, but I'm sure with time its the same with Live 5. I was wondering about how long it took you guys to become comfortable with Live. My reason I'm wondering these things, is b/c I'm currently preparing to play live. I will be incorporating my laptop, mpc1k, and kaoss pad 2, along with me mcing to my songs. I have never used Acid in a live environment nor have I heard of anyone else doing so, and was thinking of tryin it out live. Do you guys think in like about 3 months or so one could become pretty comfortable with using the program even in a live environment? i know I can rewire acid to live, and live to acid, but jus wanted to get some personal opinions from actual users. This program seems like it could be a good addition to my setup.

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:24 am

HI,
I was in the same situation and did find the Live interface and approach a bit different at first...but the many ways in which you can use Live to create got me in the end - I think it is a much more open ended system than Acid (which I return to using from time to time for more linear writing, yes, it is fast when you know it).

Yes, this is non linear, for real.

I wouldn't think of using Acid in a live context, coz Ableton has got it down. Plus you can improvise on the spot with Ableton. Other benefits are the implementation of VSTs and Midi - SO much easier in Live, as opposed to Acid where the damn music stops playing while you get to choose a plug in!
I mean what's that about?

And IMHO the clip envelopes are an amazing feature.

I have been using a midi foot controller and sometimes the laptop keys, also used a small M Audio keyboard controller which was pretty cool - assigning knobs to eq filters etc

I think you'd have no problem getting a good feel of the program in 3 months.
Like any of these apps, once you decide to use it for a project you get the picture.

BTW I couldn't get my eyes around some of the skins.......and how anyone can use them practically in studio or onstage beats me, but hey, hats off to the folks that can!
:wink:

The Scientist

Post by The Scientist » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:36 am

Thanks alot. The plug in thing (yes I was wondering how to get around that). I do have a midi keyboard and being able to control filters on different loops would be ill especially in a live situation. I guess its just hard, becuse when your really fluent in one program. then making the choice to start using another it like you really don't want to have to learn it all over again I geuss. I did like how much you can control via midi keyboard, and trigger finger, mpd 16, or any midi controller for that matter inside of live. I think I'll mess with the demo more tonite, and really give it a good try. i 'll slowly ease into by incorporating it via rewire into acid.
thanks,
:wink:

djshiva

Post by djshiva » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:11 am

actually, i had used acid several years before i picked up live (reason in between those two), and live incorporated the arrangement concepts that i found so easy to pick up in acid and took em one step further.

if u have used acid, i don't think it's a big stretch to get used to live really. i think you will enjoy!
http://www.soundcloud.com/djshiva
http://www.facebook.com/djshivamusic
http://sapphicbeats.blogspot.com

Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo / OSX / 2Gb RAM / Ableton Live 8 / Akai LPD8/LPK25

The Scientist

Post by The Scientist » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:48 pm

I'm really considering this program. I'm still messing with demo. I like the fact you can control everything via my radium 61, or my mpc1k. It sounds like from what I have read about live, that you could have all your clips set up in in your session view, but nothing recorded in your arrangement view. So then if i was to do a show I could have my performance recorded into the arrangement view, meaning(tweaking the envelopes, and improvising other things, and adding effects on the fly) that these things would all be recorded. So then i could go back and listen to the performance from the nite before? I think someone let me know if this is not true.

The Scientist

Post by The Scientist » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:20 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^bump^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :lol:

Rajah

Post by Rajah » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:15 am

The Scientist wrote:I'm really considering this program. I'm still messing with demo. I like the fact you can control everything via my radium 61, or my mpc1k. It sounds like from what I have read about live, that you could have all your clips set up in in your session view, but nothing recorded in your arrangement view. So then if i was to do a show I could have my performance recorded into the arrangement view, meaning(tweaking the envelopes, and improvising other things, and adding effects on the fly) that these things would all be recorded. So then i could go back and listen to the performance from the nite before? I think someone let me know if this is not true.
Special Ableton Live 5 Crossgrade Offer
For a limited time, you can add the creative power of Live 5 to your musical process for only $299 if you own one of the required DAW titles.

Might want to take a look at this.... http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=media.new&ID=596

The Scientist

Post by The Scientist » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:51 pm

very cool. thanks alot :lol: :lol: