What am I doing wrong here?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

What am I doing wrong here?

Post by Tarekith » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:03 pm

Ok, I've set up Impulse on a MIDI Track, created an 8 bar MIDI File in Session View, and I want to use the the QWERTY keyboard to overdub more midi notes into that Session Clip. I've got the QWERTY keyboard switch activated, and have my MIDI Track armed. The Computer Keyboard is selected as the input on the MIDI Track that contains the Session Clip. Next I press Record, then Play and Trigger the Session Clip to start recoridng my overdubs on the Clip.

However the midi notes I play are always recorded onto the track in Arrangement View, not in the Clip. What am I forgetting to do to make this work?

Do I have to record any new overdubs onto a new Session Clip? How can I merge the two if so?

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:50 pm

Is the overdub button turned on?

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:46 pm

don't use the top record button...

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:04 pm

Yes OverDub is turned on. Which Record Button should I use then?

Nevermind, I figured it out, knew I wasn't doing something obvious...

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:16 pm

Well tell us what you were doing wrong. :wink:

I couldn't seem to get impulse to work with the computer keyboard input either. I can record midi notes from a midi keyboard fine.

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:21 pm

The little keyboard button on the top right toggles between using the qwerty keys as a midi keyboard and for key commands.
J

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:34 pm

Yeah, I know, I had the qwerty midi keyboard activated of course & shifted to the right octave that it says that impulse responds to midi notes in the manual. I couldn't get any notes to trigger with the keyboard. Even tried every note in every octave while looking at the octaves displayed in the info in the lower left box in the screen. Shifting up and down pressing every key in every octave.

I can get the qwerty note keyboard to work with synths...Imposcar for example. :?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:06 pm

I was just using the wrong combination of record buttons and OVR. If you activate OVRand the QWERTY input buttons, set the track to be Rec Armed, and don't click on the Rec button way up top, then you can use the QWERTY keyboard to record new notes in your clips.

Cone

Post by Cone » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:37 pm

I was also confused by this initially. If you want to record a clip, you use the clip record button on an empty slot in the session view. If you want to record to the arrangement, you use the record button in the top toolbar. Now it seems obvious, but I did the same as you did at first.

As for overdubbing after you recorded the clip, you just arm the track, launch the clip, and start playing - on the keyboard or, well... erm, the keyboard. The "Creating Beats" lesson in Live 5 was actually quite helpful in learning how to do this.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:32 pm

Ah thanks, I wasn't using the top record button but I think I was activating the OVR button now that I think of it. I'll try it both without next time around.