Does Live make use of WDM kernal streaming?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Does Live make use of WDM kernal streaming?

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:35 am

These days laptops and most motherboards are coming with four and up to six audio outputs, but these only appear to be available by a wdm kernal streaming (wdm-ks) host like Sonar and n-Track. Both Sonar and n-Track work quite well with wdm-ks, allowing the mediocre AC97 sound devices to work at there best with lower latency and multichannel audio.

Even some professional audio devices perform better with wdm-ks than with asio. This may seem like a non-issue, but I'm sure that many on the pc side would benefit from this feature.

So the question is, am I missing something or does Live not support wdm-ks? I know Live supports core audio, how come no wdm?

Thanks

Alex

Post by Alex » Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:39 pm

Hi,

Unfortunately Live doesn't support the wdm kernel streaming.
There are two reasons because kernel streaming is not supported from Live.

1) It would be just a benefit for windows user which can not use an ASIO driver. Of course it would be nice for a lot of people but we're are not such a big company and have to set priorities.

2) In the past there was no official sdk or something similiar available which describes the using of kernel streaming from the host. That is changed since the end of last year because microsoft announced a new white paper about it. But it's really fresh so I cannot say if we'll support kernel streaming somewhen in the future.

regards,
Alex

Agnishvatta

Post by Agnishvatta » Sat Mar 08, 2003 3:59 pm

1) It would be just a benefit for windows user which can not use an ASIO driver. Of course it would be nice for a lot of people but we're are not such a big company and have to set priorities.
I just posted a request in the wishlist forum for this. What you said above is quite understandable, but as it seems the same should've applied to OSX users with core audio right?

2) In the past there was no official sdk or something similiar available which describes the using of kernel streaming from the host. That is changed since the end of last year because microsoft announced a new white paper about it. But it's really fresh so I cannot say if we'll support kernel streaming somewhen in the future.
Well at least you aren't saying that you won't do it. I think that it would be a great feature, but of course not as great as audio editing features among other request that I've just read through.

It's great and really impressive to see the abletons responding in the forums.

Thanks and I look forward to receiving Live soon.

Alex

Post by Alex » Sat Mar 08, 2003 4:31 pm

Hi Agnishvatta,

it was needed to support Core Audio on OS X because there's no alternative. The are some rumours about an ASIO 3.0 that will supoort OS X but, you know... rumours

regards,
Alex