Bravo for Live's 192k support - now which DAW for Windows?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
savoysavvy

Bravo for Live's 192k support - now which DAW for Windows?

Post by savoysavvy » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:33 am

Live is a tremendous tool for use with a MOTU896, to be sure... I am tracking in 192khz and loving it. But all posts regarding Ableton point out that it is not designed to be a full-fledged DAW.

That's all very well. But I've got a Windows system, and Cubase can only handle up to 24 bit. Does anybody have a suggestion on a windows DAW that can handle 32 bit? I suppose I might track in Live and ReWire to the other program...
Last edited by savoysavvy on Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:46 am

so sorry, but what does sample rate have to do with bit depth?

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

savoysavvy

Post by savoysavvy » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:57 am

Apparently little. Thank you for the correction.

My question, restarted, would be which Windows DAW to use for recording at 192k (other than Live itself)
Last edited by savoysavvy on Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:09 am

please excuse me, but you are incorrect, so sorry. i could record at 24 bit 44.1 if i wished. sample rate is how many samples are taken. Bit depth is how many possible values any of those samples could have.

but to answer your first question, for pro tools, this depends on the hardware you are using. In fact, i think for most softwares, however, i don't really know.

however, i might ask what DAW features you are missing with live?

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

savoysavvy

Post by savoysavvy » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:32 am

At this point, I am no expert on Live 5. Cubase SX3 served me well on my last CD project, and I was curious to see what folks thought about Live 5 replacing it entirely.

Some other forums have made reference to the fact that Live wasn't designed to be a DAW, but rather a new best of breed productivity and performance tool for musicians. It does look pretty awesome to me. Still I was concerned by the following comment on another board:

"Other than playing live, Ableton Live is nice for quickly hashing out songs. But I quickly hit a wall and have to move to a real DAW for true linear editing. Acid gives me the the control over individual loops that I want by allowing me to cut and rearrange them in ways that I cannot do with Live."

Not having used Acid or Live extensively, I can't speak to that. I do know that Cubase gives me the fine granularity of control I need when managing and combining say 10 different takes together into one super take, adding 10 different effects, and working with 100+ simultaneous tracks with automation points.

Without spending another couple of weeks inside Live, I won't be able to determinate whether it has all those features. Was hoping to get some advice up front before I invest the time.

siddhu

Post by siddhu » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:36 am

Samplitude and Nuendo

Cubase does not support 192Khz sample rates??

CassidyGT

Post by CassidyGT » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:54 pm

SONAR

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:12 pm

Acid has more control than Live?

something wrong there I think, Live is superior to Acid that's for sure!

Sure Live's not as controlable as Cubase in the DAW side, little things like - you can't shrink & hide the channel info to give more timeline space, you can't show more than one CC curve, moving large segments is slow. But Live has other benefits, I just hope they do a little housekeeping on the arrangements page soon.

jahnlay

Post by jahnlay » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:42 pm

I dislike Cubase, I think Live can be used as a proper DAW, you just need a good editing program to augment it, like Wavelab or Soundforge.
"It's better to burn out than to fade away!"

milfbait

Post by milfbait » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:16 pm

Live and Cubase both do 32 bit.