Freezing Reason Tracks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
robojam

Freezing Reason Tracks

Post by robojam » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:47 am

Hi

I'm only just starting to use rewire to get my new toy (Reason) working with Live 5. I want to freeze the Reason audio or MIDI track, but when I try either of them I get an error message that says I have no clips if I try to freeze the audio track, or that there is no audio output if I try to freeze the MIDI track.

Anyone know how I can freeze the Reason tracks? I don't want to have to launch Reason every time I want to play this track back or work on it again, as I only wanted one instrument from Reason.

Thanks in advance!

D DAS

Post by D DAS » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:19 am

I am kinda new with live, but i think you should arm the audio track reason is playing through and record the audio you need to record, then save it as an audio clip in your live set up. then any time you need to pull it up it is there in your library for you to open without opening reason. That is what I have been doing.

D DAS

D DAS

Post by D DAS » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:21 am

I am kinda new with live, but i think you should arm the audio track reason is playing through and record the audio you need to record, then save it as an audio clip in your live set up. then any time you need to pull it up it is there in your library for you to open without opening reason. That is what I have been doing.

D DAS

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:23 am

I haven't tried this yet but is it possible you could put a silent audio track on the track that has reason running through it... that way when you freeze it's still going to pick up the audio from reason but you won't get the error saying you don't have any clips?

I'm going to try this real quick...
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

amo

Post by amo » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:28 am

Hi,

Haven't got to work with rewire devices in Live yet, ButI've done it before with other apps; here is what I understand from the freeze function:
It is true that you can't freeze sounds that are not played directly within Live, i.e. clips that are in Live tracks. The way of doing what you want to do is as described earlier by another poster, to record the sound fropm reason into a clip, in Live. Not as convenient as freeze, but I believe a freeze function could not behave differently.
People please correct me if wrong.
Best,
amo
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:31 am

yeah my idea didn't work, I thought putting a silent clip on the same track would trick the program into getting around the "no clips in this track" message but n ow I get the "cannot freeze while monitoring input" or something to that affect
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

the dark wizard

Post by the dark wizard » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:54 am

open reason (itself).export the one insrument from reason as an audio file, then close reason.....open live and then drag it into an audio track.

robojam

Post by robojam » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:25 pm

Thanks for all the help guys, but I found out how to do it - all you have to do is to create a new audio track and set its input to 'Resample'. Then arm that track and mute everything except the MIDI and audio tracks that are used to trigger Reason. If you record, the audio output from Reason will be written to the new audio track and hey presto - you have an audio track and can dispense with Reason and the two original tracks once you are happy with it!

jethrosipho

Post by jethrosipho » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:58 pm

Rather than selecting "Resample," you can select Reason under inputs. This brings up another menu, where you can select any output or instrument in reason to receive audio. Check out the rewiring Live with Reason tutorial for more:
http://www.ableton.com/index.php?main=t ... sub=rewire

or:

A Reason to Live:
http://www.ableton.com/index.php?main=t ... s&sub=tips