(OT) Buying a new computer? BOYCOTT LG!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
montrealbreaks

(OT) Buying a new computer? BOYCOTT LG!!!

Post by montrealbreaks » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:28 pm

OK, I understand that it is virtually impossible to buy a computer that isn't manufactured with exploited labour these days... But LG has hit a new low, advertising on Hezbollah sponsored Jihadist satellite TV.

Published in the Wall Street Journal

In one episode of the 29-part Ramadan TV special Al-Shatat, The Diaspora, a rabbi orders his young son to kidnap a Christian friend so that his throat can be slit and the blood drained into a bedpan to be used to make food for Passover. The rest of the series tells the usual anti-Semitic plot of alleged Jewish aspirations for world domination. This TV show is just one example of the programming run by Hezbollah's global satellite channel, al-Manar. The spread of this kind of hatred is despicable in any context. But when it is broadcast to millions of viewers by terrorists intent on destroying lives, it becomes a weapon of global jihad.

Al-Manar routinely runs videos encouraging children to become suicide bombers, calls for terrorists to attack coalition soldiers in Iraq and promises that "martyrs" will be rewarded in the afterlife.

Hezbollah established al-Manar in 1991 as an operational weapon to incite hatred and violence, and recruit children and adults as terrorists. According to al-Manar officials interviewed by Hezbollah expert Avi Jorisch for his book Beacon of Hatred, the station's programming is meant to "help people on the way to committing what you call in the West a suicide mission." Viewers are told: "The path to becoming a priest in Islam is through jihad," as Hezbollah's secretary-general Hassan Nasrallah said in a speech on March 23, 2002. Every day al-Manar reaches millions of Arabic speakers in the Middle East, Europe and North Africa...

...While a large part of al-Manar's operating budget comes from Iran (which also funds Hezbollah), a significant portion is derived from ad revenue. There are a handful of multinational corporations that still advertise on al-Manar, indirectly endorsing its message of hatred and violence and directly supporting its operations by paying for air time.

Within the past few months, al-Manar broadcasted ads for products from the following companies: Nissan; Korean electronics maker LG; Tefal, a subsidiary of France-based Groupe SEB that produces home cooking products; Swiss watch manufacturer Jovial; and Cellis-Alpha, a cellular SIM card provider owned by Fal Dete Telecommunications, a Saudi-German consortium majority-owned by Detecon, which in turn is a subsidiary of Deutsche Telekom...

...Western lives and values are under attack by Islamic extremists. Responsible companies should have no relationship with terrorist organizations. To do otherwise is to send a worrying signal to their customers, a message that seems to say that their lives are worth less than the sale of a few extra cars, watches, cellphones and home cooking products. At the very least, that cannot be good for business.

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:01 pm

As despicable as their actions and views are, Hezbollah is doing a lot of good for their community and their TV station is one of the more reliable sources of information from that area.

Just saying...

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:14 pm

noisetonepause wrote:... their TV station is one of the more reliable sources of information from that area.
How do you figure that? Do you actually think Jewish people drink human blood as their station claims? Do you actually think that hate propaganda constitutes "reliable" information? Dude, even if it's 90% accurate information / benign entertainment, and 10% hate, the problem is that the 90% gives credibility to the other 10%... That's even worse than 100% propaganda, which would be more obvious and less subversive!

Yeah, sure they do "good" for their communities (insert sarcastic emoticon here) - they provide payoff money to families who coerce or manipulate their kids to go blow people up (along with themselves). Yeah, Hezbollah provides social services too - but they are attempting to replicate state services for their own consolidation of power. This undermines the PA and any attempt at establishing democratic accountability and stability for Palestinians - an essential step regardless of what you think of the Israelis.

I would really apprecaite a more detailed explanation of your rationale...

I'm not anti-palestinian or anti-israel, I just think that extremists on both sides sabotage peace efforts... And as long as Hezbollah has even a shred of legitimacy, the Palestinian Authority will never be able to broker peace with Israel.
Last edited by montrealbreaks on Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M. Bréqs

milfbait

Post by milfbait » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:15 pm

Hey isn't that the channel with the new hit show "Who Wants to be a Martyr"?

Those fucking savage bastards.

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:19 pm

It's a fact that Hezbollah is for now - in th eyoung Palestianian state - one of the only providers of a social "net" for free medecine , education , fianncial help for the poorest of the poorest ... yes, they have a "hidden" agenda ... but they do a lot of support for the worst strikken (by Zionist (! not Israeli, not Jewish ! ... BIG difference) agression.) Think this is what noisetonep. means ...

ALL extremism should be condemned period ... but also at the Zionist side ;..

(Montreal .. think I just missed your edited post ... ;-) )
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:25 pm

montrealbreaks wrote:
noisetonepause wrote:... their TV station is one of the more reliable sources of information from that area.
How do you figure that? Do you actually think Jewish people drink human blood as their station claims? Do you actually think that hate propaganda constitutes "reliable" information? Dude, even if it's 90% accurate information / benign entertainment, and 10% hate, the problem is that the 90% gives credibility to the other 10%... That's even worse than 100% propaganda, which would be more obvious and less subversive!
We don't 100% disagree here, but if you wanna know what's going on in Lebanon, you can't overlook al-Manar for coverage. They're there on street level with reporters more so than anyone else, AFAIK.

(My Lebanese is not very good and we don't get it here, mind you, but this is what all the people who know tell me)

In an effort not to start any more fights, I'm just going to agree with Mbazzy.
Last edited by noisetonepause on Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:25 pm

Mbazzy wrote:It's a fact that Hezbollah is for now - in th eyoung Palestianian state - one of the only providers of a social "net" for free medecine , education , fianncial help for the poorest of the poorest ... yes, they have a "hidden" agenda ... but they do a lot of support for the worst strikken
kmmh... ahh-hmmmm...kfhh....excuse me... khm.......fox...coff...kmm...

....sorry I got a cold... er..ih.. coff...clearchannel... coff- I think I need some water!
Last edited by LOFA on Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:26 pm

Well, I still urge all to boycott LG. They suck. They think that selling a few more computers and cell phones is worth it, even if the money finances RPGs, AK-47s and mass murders in random public places.

Would any respectable firm advertise on a new nazi website that encourages the same sort of bull propaganda? No - so why do these firms think it's OK to support Hezbollah?

M. Bréqs

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:32 pm

I think the most obvious reason to boycott LG is that their products are utter shit and - no joke - made in a toy factory (at least their phones are).

And I don't agree with advertising at all.