how do you record soft synths?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
zxcv

how do you record soft synths?

Post by zxcv » Sat Mar 08, 2003 4:19 am

stupid question :roll:
how do you record a soft synth like FM7 using another program like cubase or logic or ableton to record?

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:40 pm

If you use Logic or Cubase, open FM7 as a VST instrument.

If you need to use Live, which doesn't support this, you run a cable from one of your sound outputs into one of your sound inputs. This might not be an incredibly wise thing to do, esp. not if you only have one stereo in/out, because software monitoring would lead to feedback, and because you wouldn't be able to hear what you're doing.

So, if you have access to either Logic or Cubase, use FM7 as a VST instrument and bounce the tracks down using the sequencer. It's the easiest way.

logicat2001

Post by logicat2001 » Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:42 pm

zxcv,

What platform are you running Live on? You should be able to find a freeware/shareware solution with no problem. I'm on Mac Os X and use Rax to host plugins and AudioHijak to record the results.

Best,
Logicat

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:02 pm

you do this while live is playing, or within live itself, or you just record wav
files and then import into live?
what is your process of doing things?

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 09, 2003 1:41 am

hi there zxcv

I'm running OS X (mac) here, so I'll explain from my viewpoint.

The only way to really work with virtual synths in LIVE is with a REwireable app, if you want to record and loop stuff you are doing with the softsynths on-the-fly.

That is, unless you want to run a cable from your (hardware) output into your input (if you have a multi-channel interface)

That means you need something like Reason, which can run in 'rewire synth' mode, allowing you to start LIVE first, then your 'synth' app. In each tracks input menu in live there will appear a 'Reason' option.

You can then record, monitor, etc that soft synth (eg reason)

On the mac front there are a number of rewirable hosts which are free or close to (in OS 9).

In OS X, we are waiting for MAX (the foundation of a lot of these freebies) to get Rewire running properly... There are about 3 or 4 host apps which are on the verge of getting Rewire.

On windows, you will need to ask someone else :-)

cherio
SongCarver

wacko

Post by wacko » Sun Mar 09, 2003 2:33 am

It's the same on windows (with reason). It's a great combo too.

You can also checkout vsampler 3 which can run has a rewire synth.

zxcv

Post by zxcv » Sun Mar 09, 2003 8:14 am

i'm running windows xp

The Hulk

Mac rewire Hosts?

Post by The Hulk » Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:55 pm

Hello, could anyone supply me with a list of freebie working VSTi hosts for Mac OS 9 which Rewire into Live? I tried Ugly Vsti which worked fine as a host but it wouldn't Rewire into Live (even though there is a Rewire preference built in). I've desperately tried to find a VSTi host that can Rewire into live that is not Reason (too expensive and involved for me right now!)

epiphanius-not logged in

Post by epiphanius-not logged in » Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:52 pm

ummm - Re-wire is proprietary technology, and my guess is that Propellerheads charges a fair bit for it. I wouldn't expect to find a free host with it.

Sorry,

e.

Hulk

Post by Hulk » Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:38 pm

Well, as long as it's cheaper and smaller than reason and can rewire into live I'm down. I don't want to buy an app and find out it can't rewire into Live. Has anyone had any rewire success in Mac OS 9 with apps found on http://kvr-vst.com/ ?

I'm dying to utilize soft synth directly into live...live!