any Z3ta+ users?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nebulae

any Z3ta+ users?

Post by nebulae » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:58 pm

Anyone here a regular user of the venerable Z3ta+ synth in Live? Any issues or problems? Can you send me links of songs that use the synth? Do you like it? How's the sound? How's the programability? Is it worth $200 from Cakewalk?

Thanks for any advise or examples and opinions.

sonorous3

Post by sonorous3 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:42 pm

zeta has great sounds but cpu consumption is high...i have many soft synths and imo none of them are worth it. save up for hardware synth.

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:06 am

i agree , accept where reaktor and maxMSP are concerned.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:47 am

I've got a hardware synth, and I've used many a hardware synth for years. I gotto say that I disagree that softs are not worth it. Several softsynths have sounds as good as hardwware. Although I agree that most hardware sounds really good, there are plenty of softs that do the job. And I believe Zeta is one of them, but I wanted specific opinions.

And rather than go off on the hardware vs. software debate, I'm asking for links to songs that have used z3ta. Anyone here have any songs they can point to? Thanks much.

bluedad

Post by bluedad » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:07 am

bluedad

Post by bluedad » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:17 am

I'm not sure what shows at the Cakewalk site re z3ta, but there are some mp3's at the rgcaudio site.
http://www.rgcaudio.com/z3ta+.htm
you can download a demo from there as well.

there's a massive amount of presets aavailable, but most tend to steer toward
trance sounds. But if you're a tweaker, it's a dream.
pentagon (also an rgc synth) is pretty damn cool, too.

supster

Post by supster » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:48 am

z3Ta is a great synth, i own it and use it.

it has a wicked array of parameters and sounds great. good interface, could be a bit easyer

CPU is not as bad as some (reaktor, absynth) and sounds just as good imo.

if you start by bypassing all the effects on the presets you'll see your CPU go way down. then only add them as necessary ..

its definitly one of those synths that they went overboard on the fx in presets to impress you, but in the end you only use them selectively anyway
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:54 am

z3ta+ is definitely one of the top VSTi's out IMO. The interface is rather "to the point" looking, but it has a very powerful sound, and good FX integration.

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:55 am

check out the drum and bass act PENDULUM , they use z3ta. they also use sony's oxford EQ ...so take with a pinch of salt i guess.

lapskin

Post by lapskin » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:09 am

http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=22023 uses the mentioned plugin its one of mine so its not up to scratch with some big named supper starts

http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=16893 same for this one though not got any ideas if it benfits you at all

Basicly from my prospective if u can use what u have to hand to produce tracks then use the tools that people so kindly make and sell or give away

... Ive got no issues with vst over hardware either if i can afford either i have no prefrence obvioously software takes up less room but hardware looks good in a room lmao ... So thats my 2 pence worth

U can slate my music now

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:11 am

Never forget that most modern hardware synths ARE software synths that just happen to run on a different hardware.

lapskin

Post by lapskin » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:16 am

Michael-SW wrote:Never forget that most modern hardware synths ARE software synths that just happen to run on a different hardware.
true i find myself just enjoying what i do with what ever i have to hand dosnt mean its any good to anyone its not the software or hard ware in the end its how the peformer uses software and hardware that they have

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:31 am

lapskin wrote:
Michael-SW wrote:Never forget that most modern hardware synths ARE software synths that just happen to run on a different hardware.
true i find myself just enjoying what i do with what ever i have to hand dosnt mean its any good to anyone its not the software or hard ware in the end its how the peformer uses software and hardware that they have
moog
monomachine
david smiths poly evolver
jumox

mmm.....im interested in synths that use tubes/vavles ...coupled with an apogee ad/da