Mac hardware - Advice needed

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Krugger

Mac hardware - Advice needed

Post by Krugger » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:43 pm

Hi guys,
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Mac hardware and currently fancy getting one temporarily until the new MacIntels come out (I'm not impatient so they'll take as long as they have to) and then I'll sell it and get the new ones.

I bought Ableton 5.0.x and also Cubase SL 3 and the Mac will be used only for these 2 softwares (+ a few VSTs like Kontakt and Absynth).

I already have an excellent VAIO laptop (1.8 centrino with 1GB RAM) and have been getting wicked performance for ableton and cubase.
I'm not expecting the Mac to be faster/better/etc than the VAIO as the comparison does not matter to me.

What matters is a good experience while working with those packages and no frustration.

Would the Mac Mini be enough (1.4Ghz with 1GB RAM) ? (I already have an external monitor + an m-audio fw 410)

Or is there a huge difference between the 1.4Ghz of the Mac mini and the 1.8/1.9 Ghz of the iMac?
If I get the iMac then I need to sell my monitor - it's not the end of the world but it's a hassle and loss of money.

I wont be using it as to record instruments (like guitar etc) as I use Ableton to DJ and Cubase for electronic music and I dont use any analogue/external instrument.
Indeed VSTs + effects etc will eat CPU but I do manage resources effectively.
Hence, I'm not looking for a monster here, just looking for something that's enjoyable to use.

Based on this criteria, is a Mini enough?

Lastly, how would a G4 Powerbook (the 12" version, 1.5Ghz, 1GB Ram) behave?

That's a lot of questions I guess....but with Macs I'm clueless.

Thanks!
Kr.

Krugger

Post by Krugger » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:50 am

bump

(i wanna buy one today...anybody pls?)

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:02 am

It all depends on configuration and power, really.

As far as power per buck, I'd go the iMac way if I were in your shoes. The new iMacs are really sweet. The Mac Mini would be a pain to gig with, connecting your monitor, keyboard, etc and still G4. The iBook/Powerbook are more portable, but still G4s.

That leaves the iMac. More power, still easy enough to gig with, and so much more you can do with it.

Hope that helps!

robin

Post by robin » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:05 am

I think the Mini would suit you best. They have been quietly upgraded to 1.5GHz recently too (but are labelled 1.42Ghz(!)).

Unless you want portability then the 12" ibook might fit the bill. I have two powerbook 12s (one, an 867MHz, is from work, the 1.33GHz my own). Both easily cope with what I throw at them (which is mainly Live, I don't have expwerience of other apps, sorry)

Does that help at all?

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:08 am

Imac G5 & Mac Mini G4 are 2 completely different beasts ...

G5 Mac's like the Imac are +/- on par with the current crop of Intel CPU's , performancewise ... G4 Mac's are a bit behind ...

Personnally I have an Ibook G4 1Ghz and a Powermac G5 1,8 , quite close both to the spec's you're considering .

They do both their job as they should , keeping in mind their inherent power . The nicest part of Mac's is the OS which is extremely stable and its userfriendlyness .(Iv' gone from Win 3.1 -> 3.11 -> 95 -> NT3.51 ->NT 4 _> win 2000 and have worked with Linux/OpenBSD setups for years ... so I'm not that biased ... but OSX impressed me ...)

So all comes down what you expect from it .... My Ibook gives me +/- 50% more power than the Athlon 1GHz I used to have to give you an idea ...
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

Krugger

Post by Krugger » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:51 am

hi all, thanks for the replies!

I'd only consider playing out with a laptop - I fear the element of surprise when playing out, hence a laptop is the safest option.

I think it boils down to this:
If I wanna play out with the laptop, I only have 1 option - the powerbook.
I know I can even take the iBook but what I hate about them is their external output resolution of 1024x768 only (that's quite sh*te from Apple I have to say)
Only the powerbooks (even the 12") do higher resolutions when connected to an external screen (as you all know)

If I just want to use it at home, then it's 1) keep my monitor, accessories and get a 1.5 mini G4 or...2) get an iMac 20" G5

Only thing is: in the UK, one's around £499 and the one other is £1200.

I'll have a think

thanks again for the replies

robin

Post by robin » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:54 am

Krugger wrote: If I wanna play out with the laptop, I only have 1 option - the powerbook.
I know I can even take the iBook but what I hate about them is their external output resolution of 1024x768 only (that's quite sh*te from Apple I have to say)
Only the powerbooks (even the 12") do higher resolutions when connected to an external screen (as you all know)
i'm sure there's a way around that with a hack....

Nixon

Post by Nixon » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:03 am

hack the screen resolution???!!! hahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:

robin

Post by robin » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:08 am

Nixon wrote:hack the screen resolution???!!! hahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:
not on the actual device Nixon. just what is displayed on the external.

robin

Post by robin » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:18 am

Screen hack to allow powerbook like behaviour:

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

and more specifically for what i think you want to do:

http://forum.macparts.de/viewtopic.php?t=527

If i were you I'd probably go for a Mini though, given you ahve the display and a laptop already.

Krugger

Post by Krugger » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:12 pm

hmmm...I read some of the other posts.

It's a nice hack but u need to monitor the temp of the ibook as it gets higher if the screen gets too busy (at a higher res) on the external screen.

some people have experienced black outs etc.
whether some of it is highly exagerated or not, it's still a hack I'd prefer staying away from.
Which kicks the ibook out of my equation. (and that's nice to be honest, makes my decision less of a headf*k)

mini or imac...
imac or mini...
ee ai ee ai o...

Will decide eventually...

Kr.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:35 am

Get a minimac.

Word on the streets is that powerbooks and imacs will be the first models to get an intel processor. Like in january!!!!!!

http://www.appleinsider.com/

gomi

Re: Mac hardware - Advice needed

Post by gomi » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:50 pm

Krugger wrote:
Would the Mac Mini be enough (1.4Ghz with 1GB RAM) ? (I already have an external monitor + an m-audio fw 410)

Or is there a huge difference between the 1.4Ghz of the Mac mini and the 1.8/1.9 Ghz of the iMac?
there is a huge difference.

a mac mini is basically an IBOOK jammed into an even smaller space.

i have one, i am typing on it right now.
it's a nice little desktop.
I do have live on it. but it can be frustratingly slow at time.

reason runs really well on it though, so usually I slave the mini to a more
powerful computer that has live on it.

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:15 pm

I'm in the same boat as you - wanted to dip my toe in the Mac water before really committing and didn't want to wait for the macTels. I went with the 12" iBook b/c of price - with Applecare and extra RAM (don't get less than a gig) it was still 1500 USD new which when you upgrade the warranty and RAM on windows lappies is still hard to beat. I also have a Dell 20" widescreen so dual monitor was an issue for me as well.

I'm 3 months in and am loving the iBook. I installed the screen span hack and the only issue is with only 32MB dedicated RAM the hack takes you down to 16MB per monitor and it isn't great. But it doesn't really bother me. I think the performance is fine for Reason and Live however and I am loving the OS. Mac's attention to detail on the audio side is refreshing. I intend to sell this and bump up to macTel PB's when they hit revB but I'm really into the iBook in the meantime.

Left Eye Dominant

Post by Left Eye Dominant » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:13 pm

I have been thinking of getting a Mac Mini (with a Superdrive) as an early Christmas present to myself.... just done a price check (in Italy) and discovered that once I add 512 MB of RAM, a keyboard and a mouse it will cost just over 1000 Euros....

hmmmm, a 17" iMac G5 costs 1300 Euro"s, 1450 Euro"s with 1 gig of RAM... a far better deal I reckon, and a much more capable system. Something you might want to consider Krugger.