...another cute controller

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
EARLGREY

...another cute controller

Post by EARLGREY » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:51 am

Maybe for the not-too-distant future :

http://tactiva.com/tactapad.html

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:52 am

for the future? does that mean it doesn't exist yet?

I'm thinking if it did work it would be a cpu hog. but maybe not.
rad idea though.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:19 am

Since you brought up the futuristic angle... this thing is Star trek technology(and looks) today!

http://www.jazzmutant.com/lemur_overview.php

I'm sure others here have noticed this controller. Has any one actually used one? I'm wondering what the learning curve is? How does it feel to adapt one's tactile feedback from the manipulation of mechanical knobs and sliders found in hardware, to slippin' and slidin' around on a smooth surface? I never have gotten used to the touchpads on notebooks.

It appears that this device can do the tasks of several at once, amazing. One problem that I can forsee is, that at the price that it sells for, I'd be constantly wiping it clean instead of using my greasy fingers on the shiny display :cry:
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:50 am

looks like I'm going to have to save up 2500 bucks for a lemur...

damnit...
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

amo

Post by amo » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:11 am

Johnisfaster wrote:looks like I'm going to have to save up 2500 bucks for a lemur...

damnit...
I've just read their FAQ, really funny ! Those guys like to joke, for sure :wink:
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

sqook

Post by sqook » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:22 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:for the future? does that mean it doesn't exist yet?

I'm thinking if it did work it would be a cpu hog. but maybe not.
rad idea though.
From TFA:
Can I buy one?
No. The TactaPad is not available for sale. Tactiva is currently looking for a company to license the technology and bring the product to market.

How much will it cost?
Since the TactaPad is not in production, it is difficult to quote an exact price. Price will vary depending on the final feature set and dimensions. A rough estimate would be a retail price of about $1000.

Isn’t that expensive compared to a mouse?
Yes. However, the crucial measure for a productivity-enhancing tool is the monetary value of the time saved in comparison to the cost — the return on investment. For professional users for whom interactivity is a bottleneck, the TactaPad will pay for itself quickly.
Looks like their PR department is a bit better than their marketing....

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:00 pm

tactapad looks like a turd to me.

does the touchpad on your laptop satisfy you? nope.

not to mention , its still essentially presenting you with a 2d environment , only its spreading it across a plane that goes from foreground to background. no wonder they're still looking for a company to finance it.

as for the lemur....im saving for one. they're great. plus you can create step sequencer interfaces. class.