External/Internal lappy HD config

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Lo-Fi Massahkah

External/Internal lappy HD config

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:48 pm

Hi!

I just ordered a HP NX8220 lappy (click for specs and pics) - not sexy like a VAIO or even an Acer. But after some research I found it to be what I wanted.

Pentium M760, 1 gig ram, 80 gig/5400 rpm hd, Ati X600, 15,4" 1680x1050 screen, WLan, bluetooth and advanced docking station. (16000 swedish kronor or 1680 euros approximately). I'm using a Quatafire 610 audio interface that I'll have to attach "manually" since the docking station does not provide FW. But apart from that I'm planning to having all periphals (controllers, mouse, keyboard and extra monitor) hooked to the dock.

Now I have some thoughts on how to set up my HDs. I will use an external 120 gig/7200 rpm USB2.0 drive in addition to the internal lappy drive.

Internal (80 gig/5400 rpm):
C: OS and Apps
D: Samples, Patches (VSTi and Reaktor), general documents, maybe mp3s and a few movies

External (120 gig/7200 rpm):
E: Live projects (when finished burned to CD)
F: Video (DV) projects

I'm thinking that I will be sitting in my studio when actually working with multitrack projects hence being hooked to the 7200 drive. When being mobile it's probable that I'll mostly be patching and/or making loops so that the internal drive will be sufficient.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this setup and my thinking concerning the HD setup.

Cheers,
Mikael

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:46 pm

:cry: Surely someone must have some pointers or experiences...

Cheers,
Mikael

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:31 pm

I can understand why you partition the internal drive but why partition the external? Isn't it better to keep as much space as possible available? Just keep in good shape by using PartitionMagic for defragging.

It looks like a very good machine as far as spec's go. I'm also looking for a Pentium-M lappy, surfing every laptop webshop but at a bit lower price range.
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:43 am

Tack Per!

Maybe you're right - I really don't think I have a reason other that structural. Maybe I should just leave it as one big flexible partition.

Actually the computer without docking station is just 14061 kronor (http://www.datorhandel.com/se/categorie ... ET%2523AK8), which I found to be rather cheap when doing my comparisons. I was looking for 1 gig ram, at least Pentium M 1,8 and a (wide) screen with high resolution. One contender was the Acer 5024 (http://www.datorhandel.com/se/categorie ... .A4605.073) with a Turion processor and lower resolution, but in a nicer casing. Maybe you appreciate that coming from a Mac (don't you?).

Thank for your thoughts!
/Mikael