Newbie question.

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
tik

Newbie question.

Post by tik » Sun Mar 09, 2003 12:51 am

I'm thinking about buying Live 2.0 to use with Reason so that I can record vocals and do total song effects and speed changes.

People have talked about 'Rewiring' Reason into Live 2.0. Exactly how is this done?

Also, I'm using a Mac and I want an audio editor like Cool Edit Pro. What is the Mac equivalent or can I do cool edit type editing in Live 2.0 itself?

noisetonepause
Location: Second row from the expensive puddle, under ten others

Post by noisetonepause » Sun Mar 09, 2003 2:26 pm

Hey Tik, welcome aboard :)

Rewiring Reason into Live (or most other apps) is like recording from external inputs. It's easier than a really easy thing, actually. I can highly recommend the two - they work perfectly well together.

/Niklas
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

geargasm

Post by geargasm » Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:01 pm

It's pretty simple, rewire is just a protocol, all you have to do it open Live. then open Reason. In the session view of Live, you'll see little drop down boxes that allow you to choose Reason as the input.

Do most of my stuff this way, Live + Reason = Lethal.
I am the bumpitron.

geargasm

Post by geargasm » Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:03 pm

nosuch

how many channels can you launch

Post by nosuch » Sun Mar 09, 2003 7:55 pm

Hi niklas and gergasm,

I use reason and live together too, but faced a problem with the number of channels I can actually launch.
I run a PB 867, 768 MB Ram with an oxygen and M-Audio duo, OS 10.2.4
(switching to OS 9 showed no better results except a system crash;-)

I tried to build a song with 13 channels running, some EQs and compressors, send for reverb and delay in live. kind of a tape maschine strategy...
I thought it would be a good idea to wire all the reason instruments to the hardware interface and then individually to live - so I have all the control within live - no way, cpu overload.
using the reason mixer and run a stereo sum into live seemed to ask for less cpu - but still this is not perfect as I had to rise the buffer for stable audio. And I don't like the idea to mix all virtual instruments in a different mixer (reminds me of my former setup - mac performa with micrologic, run stereo into a cassette four track where I could add two tracks of audio. I thought I could overcome this with my investment into the PB), I am looking for more integration.
Niklas, you mentioned in another thread that you work with an iBook (sorry that it broke and so are you).
So what is your startegy to manage cpu load?
Are there any settings in the preferences or in the system I can alter to get good results (sorry I'm no computer crack)?
I'd really loved to do it with with live cause I dig the concept of the interface - easy as a stomp-box

Any tip will be welcome.

Thanks

stephan
...just trying to figure out how to make my computer sing....

noisetonepause
Location: Second row from the expensive puddle, under ten others

Post by noisetonepause » Sun Mar 09, 2003 8:32 pm

Since it's broke and I'm not replacing it, I don't really have any tips for using Live. The thing is, first I ordered Live, then my computer broke, THEN I got Live, so I've only used it a couple of times on my brother's G4, just playing around with demo sounds and supplied samples. How's that for a waste of money?

/Niklas
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.