E-MU Command Station as Live controller?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
underhill

E-MU Command Station as Live controller?

Post by underhill » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:02 am

This seems like it could be a nice match. Anyone using/tried it? If so how do you utilize it? MP-7 XL-7 etc.

Thanks!

elemental

Post by elemental » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:53 am

I tried this back when I had an MP-7 ... was OK, but frustrating as u cant get the mute buttons to sync with live properly. But it was fun using the big know for tempo control! In the end i sold it cos it wasnt doing what i wanted.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:45 pm

You can get the mute buttons to sync just fine, you just need to change the controller type in Live to something like 2's bit.

The emu command stations make a very nice controller for Live IMO.

underhill

Post by underhill » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:37 pm

Thanks Tarekith. Do you utilize all four knob banks?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:56 pm

Are you part of the Yahoo Command Station group by any chance?

Anyway, yes I had it setup to use pretty much all of the 4 groups of knobs, though without some sort of "snap" mode, it wasn't always easy. IE, is you switch to a new group, any time you grabbed a knob and tweaked, the sound jumped to the new value.

I then had the mute buttons assigned to track mutes.

underhill

Post by underhill » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:57 pm

Tarekith wrote:Are you part of the Yahoo Command Station group by any chance?
Tried there. Not much Live related.
Thanks again for the info.

audioel

XL-7 and Live

Post by audioel » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:09 pm

Hi,

I've been using an XL-7 with Live for some time. Basically I use the program mode on the knobs, and the triggers, to control Live. I dedicate channel 16 as well to Live, so I can use the pads to play instruments.

The nice part is that I can use the sequencer and arps in the XL-7 semi-independently of Live, and have a physical controller as well. Meaning that if Live crashes, I can cover using the XL-7 until the computer reboots.

Once you adjust latency, the timing is pretty good (using a FW audio interface). I've also used Live to process the output of the XL-7 at the same time, but at that point, the total latency became a little problematic - maybe if I had a really good audio interface, like an RME, it would work.

I actually have found the combination of the XL-7 and Live to be very complimentary. The nice thing about the XL-7 is that it's a very flexible sequencer, which uses standard MIDI messages for everything.

Here's a recent pic (last Friday) of me using the XL-7 with Live. This was taken at the SF Independent. I was opening for Daniel Lanois and Tortoise.

Regards,

- Gustavo
Nude Photo Music
Visit our site at http://www.nudephotomusic.com
Follow us on http://twitter.com/nudephotomusic
Listen on http://soundcloud.com/nudephotomusic

laserbeak43

Post by laserbeak43 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:59 pm

i'm in the xl-7 yahoo group and i have an mp-7(the xl-7 group is the only really active group i know about)

whats this about 4 banks of knobs? never hearda it. but you can use multisetups and have maybe a couple hundred banks of knobs and buttons.

i use these multisetups control many aspects of live. almost all. and pretty soon it just might be all.

my main problem is latency.
i can get it down to 2ms when playing back but for recording a and things like that, problems seem to arise. and i cant go any lower than 8ms. and the things that im doing in live(drum n bass) this cant be an issue.

trying to find a solution.

i'm still a demo user btw. and i need to know that this baby wont quit on me.
cause the only alternative to live that i can see is coding my own sequencer.
i really dont want to have to do that at the moment :!: