OH GOD SWEET JESUS ALL MY LIVE SETS ARE GONE

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MarkH

Post by MarkH » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:21 am

hambone1 wrote:Norton Unerase has saved me from more than one disaster!
Damn drunks! :P
Accidents are the portal to discovery!

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:21 am

You know?

I just spent about 6 hours working on a new track, and I'm actually enjoying not being tied to the old Live set. The new one so far is better than the old one. It's like my creativity just had a huge kick in its ass. :) I hope the rest of the tracks for this set are in the same vein.

Of course, the first one had a few good sections, and I will have to recreate those. Oh well, I hope they turn out better.

And Cosmo, cute macintrashcan. Heh. Where the heck is livepa.org anyway... I'm having withdrawals.

MarkH

Post by MarkH » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:26 am

the_planet wrote:You know?

I just spent about 6 hours working on a new track, and I'm actually enjoying not being tied to the old Live set. The new one so far is better than the old one. It's like my creativity just had a huge kick in its ass. :) I hope the rest of the tracks for this set are in the same vein.
Keep drinking! It only gets better! But as a friend, I must take your keys away from you (pops off Delete and Backspace) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Accidents are the portal to discovery!

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:36 am

MarkH wrote: Keep drinking! It only gets better! But as a friend, I must take your keys away from you (pops off Delete and Backspace) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Haha, thanks man.
Another night, another bottle of sekt...

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:57 am

i think you called for me..
is your data still fucked?

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:04 am

I once read in Sound on Sound magazine: Data only exists if it exists in two places. To which I say: Amen.

Over the years I have had all media failing on me: DAT tapes, Hard disks, floppies (remember those?) CD-R. When you take stuff off your hard drive and archive it it HAS to be on 2 copies.

I have only ever had stuff crapping out on me when I had no backup. Seems like when there is a backup the universe doen't test you...

Good luck with the new set! Did you make a backup yet?

:wink:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:13 am

I was using a sample management program to optimize my samples for the EXS while I had inadvertently filled my hard drive to capacity. There was no place for the app to put the files, and something weird happened with the whole process. I ended up with 30 Gigabytes of empty samples, and about thirty plus songs and beginnings of songs with at the very least screwed percussion tracks.

I never fill a hard drive past 70% now. :?

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:58 pm

I backup my computer twice.... on external hard drives. One drive is a Norton Ghost image of my whole computer. The other drive is just my music files for Ableton.

I backup every night before bed... without exception.

If I ever have a failure, I'm double-covered.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:26 pm

I back up all my live sets to DVD everytime I make a change. Hard drives fail, physical optical media is one of the safest options.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:58 pm

I print out the binary code, make two copies of them and send them with ups to friends on two different continents. :P

But seriously: My first ibook stopped working right after making a complete backup. I felt so proud when I could tell the guy at the repair that it would not be necessary to recover files.

rasputin

Post by rasputin » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:40 pm

Tarekith wrote:I back up all my live sets to DVD everytime I make a change. Hard drives fail, physical optical media is one of the safest options.
With a brand name DVD writer only US$50, and verbatim media only USD$18 for 50 pc, I can't afford NOT to back up. Not that my stuff is so timeless, but it does represent a lot of (wasted|invested) time on my part.
About data only really existing in two places: if you REALLY are paranoid, make it three and make sure that it exists in two different locations (home and school, home and work, etc.) If a robber comes in and cleans out your studio, or god forbid there is a fire or something, how important is it for you to get the work back?
But I really think it's great how the_planet has turned the adversity into a creative boost; that's really taking lemons and making a lemon pie out of them!