OS X : Live 2.x : Cubase SX : Rewire

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tribalogical

OS X : Live 2.x : Cubase SX : Rewire

Post by tribalogical » Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:39 am

A simple pair of questions... Maybe for Alex or Monolake to answer?

Can I use Live 2.x as a Rewire Slave under Cubase SX in OS X?

If not now, when?

Thanks!

tribalogical

Alex

Post by Alex » Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:00 pm

Hi tribalogical,

unfortunately Live woks just as ReWire master on OS X.
The ReWire slave functionality will come with the next major update of Live. But it's not clear when it will be released.

regards,
Alex

equinoxworld

Post by equinoxworld » Mon Mar 10, 2003 9:49 pm

:( That bites... Since I just spent $ a big wad of cash for Cube.SX for osX
for interfaceing w/ Live/Reason/etc...
what about Live-Master/ CubeSX slave (will Cubase run as a slave)????
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Albert Einstein

tribalogical

Post by tribalogical » Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:51 am

Thanks Alex,

Well, that is unfortunate for the present, but nice to know you are working on including it in the next major release.

And, for equinox... as far as I know, Cubase SX for OS X doesn't run as a rewire slave. That is something Steinberg is supposedly considering for a future release as well...

You can run Reason as a slave however, so interfacing with either Cubase OR Live works, and works quite well.

OK, then. It sux now, but with everyone working on solutions, it will come one way or another...

I guess I can live with that! In the meantime, I'll do the "workaround dance" where needed... :)

Thanks again for the quick answer, Alex...

tribalogical

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:20 pm

FYI, I mistakenly upgraded to 2.0, thinking this feature would be included, and thinking now that Waves and Absynth are coming for OSX, I could migrate. Well, I guess not!

This is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT for me... it is a show stopper. I should have read more carefully and NOT upgraded to 2.0 until it contained rewire slave functionality. My mistake.

Please get this working as soon as you can.. and thanks.

tribalogical

Post by tribalogical » Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:19 am

Not sure about this, maybe Alex or Monolake can confirm, but isn't it possible to run BOTH 1.5 and 2.0 on the same system?

Also, I think the issue is a problem exclusively under OS X... perhaps it still works under OS 9?

(can you tell I haven't yet tried all these workarounds myself, yet? I'm locked into OS X these days, and don't want to boot back to OS 9 unless absolutely necessary... which means I don't much anymore...)

I don't know... maybe there is a temporary solution lurking in there somewhere...?

tlc

Alex

Post by Alex » Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:09 pm

Hi tribalogic,

on OS 9 Live can work as ReWire master or as ReWire slave. On OS X just as ReWire master.

You can also run Live 1.5 and Live 2 on the same system.

regards,
Alex

tribalogical

Post by tribalogical » Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:26 pm

Well, there you have it! Thanks again, Alex... :)

As so many other things demand of us Mac users right now (in the throes of a major OS transition), the solution is to boot back into OS 9, where you can enjoy EITHER Live 1.52 or 2.0.x rewired as a slave to Cubase VST, or rewired to Reason, or even presumably both! (If your system can handle the load...)

I've decided I don't need the SX rewire THAT badly yet... (I dislike booting back to OS 9 so much now, and avoid it whenever possible.)

I've got a few workarounds, so I manage: exporting the audio out of Cubase for VSTi tracks, then loading those into Reason, or Live rewired to Reason... seems to have solved my immediate need...

So, I'll hold out for the update... hey, and while we're at it, add my voice to the chorus of prayers chanting "Altivec Optimization, Please!"... :D

peace to all,

tribalogical

nosuch

Just to get this clear...

Post by nosuch » Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:52 am

Will live 1.5 actually run as a rewire slave in os X?
...just trying to figure out how to make my computer sing....

Alex

Post by Alex » Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:00 pm

Hi nosuch,

also Live 1.5 cannot run as ReWire slave under OS X. It would be a big shame if we had it in Live 1.5 but not in Live 2.

regards,
Alex