Dude, you're getting a MD

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
scottorlans

Dude, you're getting a MD

Post by scottorlans » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:32 pm

That's MD for MachineDrum, holy crap this thing's sick! Bastard kept me up all night... :D :D :D

Scott Orlans (a.k.a. SEO)
Down Time Productions
Down Time Records
www.DownTimeProductions.com

CITYSTATE

Post by CITYSTATE » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:32 pm

Dude!
I ordered an MD on Monday and it's being delivered tomorrow!

mosca

Post by mosca » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:51 pm

do you not think it's slightly overpriced for what it is?

good tho

mosca

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:52 pm

No way, it's worth every penny. I want one SOOO bad.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:57 pm

I've heard it sounds wank?

Nixon

Post by Nixon » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:57 pm

I have one at home and it's GOLD (metal casing, but gold to use :wink: )!!! 8)

scottorlans

Post by scottorlans » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:58 pm

No, it definitely does not sound wank. And it is expensive but comepletely worth it, this thing is the coolest... object ever. The perfect fusion of design, function, sound, intuitiveness... I can't say enough, it just freakin rocks.
Down Time Productions
Down Time Records

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:28 pm

whats the difference between the sps-1 and the sps-1uw. they each are priced seperately on the ordering page.

these things cost over 1200... jesus.....

you could buy 3 electribes for the price of one of these... I mean it looks awesome and all but is it cooler than 3 electribes combined?... I don't know maybe it is....
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

drush

Post by drush » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:19 pm

noisetonepause wrote:I've heard it sounds wank?
you've heard wrong

drush

Post by drush » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:24 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:whats the difference between the sps-1 and the sps-1uw. they each are priced seperately on the ordering page.

these things cost over 1200... jesus.....

you could buy 3 electribes for the price of one of these... I mean it looks awesome and all but is it cooler than 3 electribes combined?... I don't know maybe it is....
yeah, it is amazing. i've used one several times. however, that's a good question...

scottorlans

Post by scottorlans » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:42 pm

[quote="Johnisfaster"]is it cooler than 3 electribes combined?...[/quote]

Yes, it's cooler than all the electribes in the world combined. This is the next in the succession of classic drum machines of all time. TR-606, TR-808, TR-909, MachineDrum. It's a freakin modern classic. Mark my words. An absolute DREAM to work with. The SPS-1UW which is the one I got has 2mb onboard sample memory to work with. This may not seem like a big deal, but drum hits and such don't take up much space. It lets you work with these samples just as any other drum sound from within the MD environment. May not seem like a big deal but with any machine like this where the sequencer and internal enviroment have as big of an impact as they do, you can do crazy things with the sounds that you might not think of outside the environment. For anyone with an SPS-1 you can get an upgrade kit from Elektron, but they're running out...
Down Time Productions
Down Time Records

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:22 pm

I bought a MD a few years ago and returned it to the music store after less than a week. Actually, they are a great piece of kit, but I preffered the sound of the jomox x-base compared to it.

Even though the synthesis is alot simpler and there is less variety of sounds (no FM synthesis, less envelope shaping, only 3 voices), there is something that drew me to the full round, analog sound of the x-base. It's hard to explain...but they are very different in the types of grooves you can get from them too.

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:48 pm

i can get the same sounds out of microtonics 69.00 drummachine.its nice having some hardware though.

scottorlans

Post by scottorlans » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:51 pm

Yes I have an AiRBase myself, and I probably should have included JoMoX in the short list of great drum machines above... My bad. I love my AiRBase! Being analogue, it has a presense and punch that is just spectacular. The MD is more on the side of blipy electro, tech house, minimal techno type stuff. But yeah that in your face JoMoX kick just... kicks! I'm planning to use them both to compliment each other. Of course, with the sampling capability of the UW I could probably sample my favorite kicks from the airbase and integrate everything into the MD environment. I can't say enough how much I love programming on this box!
Down Time Productions
Down Time Records

scottorlans

Post by scottorlans » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:55 pm

john gordon wrote:i can get the same sounds out of microtonics 69.00 drummachine.its nice having some hardware though.
I promise to stop responding to EVERY post, but just wanted to add that the sound of the MD is amazing, but the greating thing about it is the interface. It's just a pleasure to run and get's those creative juices flowing. Even if the same exact sounds were in a sampler or software program, you're just not gonna end up at the same place as an intuitive hardware step sequencer. You can of course get what you have in your head but even more than that you can just play around and press buttons and turn knobs until it sounds cool. This kind of programming is much more right brained, it's like playing with a toy, which is the optimun frame of mind for creativity to flow...
Down Time Productions
Down Time Records