Live 5 with Cubase

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BobTheDog

Live 5 with Cubase

Post by BobTheDog » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:35 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have been playing around with the demo of Live 5 and I am very impressed with its ability to get my ideas up and running quick, and just to play around with to get new ideas. I also like the idea of useing it in live situations.

Now I use Cubase SX 3 as my daw but I am thinking of buying Live as I am having so much fun with the demo, its much easier to get an idea going with live but I do need to integrate it with Cubase.

I have got live running here as a rewire slave and have a question, how can I send midi from Cubase to Live?

Basically I want to play live devices, send controller massages to trigger playing etc.

Also is it possible to get midi going back from Live to Cubase.

Also does anyone have any other hints on how to integrate these two.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andy

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:00 pm

Come on, someone must use live with cubase!

telekom

Post by telekom » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:05 am

HI bobthedog,
I dunno much about Cubase but can't you just rewire it into live? If Rewiring is possible between Live and Cubase then that should basically be it. Open a channel in Live and select "Cubase" from the "Audio From" dropdown menu.

There. Your first reply! Possibly wrong tho.
:)
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

amo

Post by amo » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:13 am

I believe, but I'm not sure, that cubase can not pass midi to live through rewire. You would need to use a virtual midi device, like midiyoke, and set it properly. Go and dowmload midi yoke and try it with Live demo, then you'll know if it suits your needs...
Best,
amo
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:42 am

Live works in strange ways with SX. First of all you won't be able to use any VSts in live while in rewire. Like Amo said you can't access live through midi without some other app.
In the long run you might find that you're better off without SX.
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:09 pm

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the info.

Its a bit strange as I can pass midi via rewire to reason from cubase!

I will give midiyoke a go, sounds like it may be my solution.

All the best

Andy

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:31 pm

BobTheDog wrote:Its a bit strange as I can pass midi via rewire to reason from cubase!
Reason is made by Propellerheads, who invented rewire. Reason does not host VST or VSTi, and it's FX and plug ins are not disabled while in rewire slave mode. As far as I know, there isn't a DAW out there that can host VSTi while rewired, and since Propellerheads don't really make a DAW that hosts VSTi, I don't see that happening in rewire 3.......