Would love to get some feedback - 3 recent tracks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
polyslax

Would love to get some feedback - 3 recent tracks

Post by polyslax » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:22 pm

I’ve got 3 recent tracks I’d really appreciate getting some feedback on if you have a few minutes. All tracks were written and mixed in Live 5. Try 1 at least and move on from there if you’re interested. :) I’m afraid I’m terribly out of touch with genres and sub genres, so please bear with me as I try and give a brief description of each. :oops:

The Second Time

Ambient intro gives way to a chilled sort of track.

Nest

Actually much the same formula as track 1. Long ambient intro, beats and a bit of a theme follow. Features lots of noisy, buzzy synth patches. In fact, there’s pretty much a constant buzz throughout the track, but then look at the title.

Black Foulie

Done as a remix of a fellow’s track at kvr (mckenic). I used 2 of his synth loops and seriously mangled them, brought the tempo down to 90bpm and added my own drums, bass and 5 new synths. I think it’s got sort of a dark/trippy/ethnic feel.

Hmmm, ok, I guess I’m kind of a down tempo guy, lately anyhow.

All tracks are 128 bit mp3.

Thanks for your time!
Last edited by polyslax on Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

Moody

Post by Moody » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:10 pm

Very Funky! :D
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:24 pm

Feedback as I listen - so I don't have any time to think about it....

1. The Second Time: Like the intro with the guitarish sounds, and love the fuzzy pad in the background. It's now gone one for about 1:30 and I want something else to happen, or at least get a massage, as I feel like I'm in a massage parlor (and I don't mean the kind you find in some dingy Shanghai joint where the masseuse will love-you-longtime). Ok, not there's some stabbing noises. It's now 3 minutes and there's some cool mods with sitars. Nice beat kicks in...ABOUT TIME! :) List the verb on the hat and snare - I likes it wet. I feel the kick could be thicker and deeper - sounds like the low end is absent. It can still be ambient but full...no need for thumping basses. I really like the string plucking sounds in this song. Aah, there's a nice kick at 4:50. Ok, so overall, I'd say that if you cut the intro by about 1:30 and then get to the more interesting beats sooner, it's a pretty good song. Just my opinion - and it's not like I don't have patience for long songs (sit through 10 minute Orbital song and you'll see what I mean).

2. Nest - Love the atmospheric stuff. You're very good at soundscapes. Very nice interesting stuff coming in and out at 1 minute. Great beats coming in later in the song. I really like this song, a lot more than the first. It's got "trip out while listening to me" written all over it. Again, like the first song though, I wish you didn't wait till the very end to bring in the heavier beats, although I suppose that's your point.

3. Mckenic: nice beats right from the start. Crisp and sharp. Like that growling deep bassline. This song is kind of sinister...perfect for Haloween :)
Love the sounds you come up with at 4 minutes. Love the percussive sound at the end too. This song rocks.

Overall, very nice job!

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:15 am

Guys, thanks a lot for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

@nebulae - Very cool of you to do a detailed report like that! Thanks for your honest opinions and suggestions. The verb you asked about in track 1 is the Stylus RMX ProVerb.
Image Image

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:07 am

No problem...keep up the good work. And as I always say to anyone seeking feedback, it's just my opinion, which means nothing. Trust your instincts and your gut, and feel free to take any or no part of any of my suggestions. Good luck, and keep me posted of future works.

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:03 am

Anyone else care to lend an ear and give me some feedback?
Image Image

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:05 am

*one last desperate bump*

Anybody else?

I work alone, so it's always nice to hear something from outside my bubble!
Image Image

D DAS

Post by D DAS » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:13 am

Good man. All three of your tracks are sounding good. I like all the atmospherics in the 1st two ambient tracks, and kudos on the 3rd track. Keep it up. Now get back in your bubble and get to work, good music is needed.

peace
d das

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:38 pm

Hey thank you so much d das!

Yeah, I'm just never sure if I'm completely losing perspective when it's just me and my ears, so I really appreciate you taking the time to give me some feedback.
Image Image

markaugust

Post by markaugust » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:35 pm

first two tracks same opinion as nebulae....it seems you don't really know yet if your going ambient or downtempo, make a choice, either will be good.
I like your sounds, you got a talent for biosphere kinda spheres (which I lIke)
last track, i really like the beat as it is...maybe in my opinion it could do with a more minimalist melody structure...
all in all; thumbs up mate!

dj_statikfire

Post by dj_statikfire » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:46 pm

Overall... great use of layers and contrast , the best setting for this music would perhaps be the road, driving at night.

-don't make a person wait for minutes to get drum beats!
-reverb/fx on drums makes them less punchy, but that may be alright for an ambient work such as this
-i think these ideas could be compressed into a shorter track

post some more work!

THX,
Jason D
www.statikfire.com
- downloads for club dee jays and internet radio stations
- forum with articles on mixing

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:34 am

I really dig these tracks, esp. Nest - it sounds like it has some strong BOC influences?
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:51 pm

Thanks for listening and for your comments and opinions!

I guess I’ll try and stick more to one format/genre, although I personally like the combination I can see it being a turn-off for fans of one or the other. And yes, I definitely see some opportunities to shorten the tracks up a bit.

@Machinate – yeah, although I didn’t set out to write a BOC track, that’s definitely what it reminded me of too! Cheers!
Image Image

charles-l

Post by charles-l » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:59 pm

hi

checked them out om your site - you got a lot of cool professional sounding tracks well done

charlie :D

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:01 pm

charles-l wrote:hi

checked them out om your site - you got a lot of cool professional sounding tracks well done

charlie :D
Hey, thanks charlie, I appreciate the nice feedback!

BTW, I fixed the links in my original post, bit of a website re-org had orphaned them.
Image Image