Name the instrument

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Airbase

Name the instrument

Post by Airbase » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:46 pm

Hey guys. Probably not the spot on place to post, but I couldnt think of any other place with such a great mix of talent and knowledge as this board.

Anyhow, I watched an episode of Nip/Tuck tonight, and one track caught my attention, the radioheads track everything in its right place. The intro instrument, no matter if its an accoustic one or a synth, I find it to be such a clean and wonderful sound, yet has a sad tone to it. Does anyone know any vst able to reproduce that kind of sound, or any other way of obaining anything similar?

Here's a sample:
http://s65.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0I5H ... C36Z42WZF2
Long Live Live.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:56 pm

It's a Rhodes, and nothing sounds like a real Rhodes... nothing I've found at least.

I made a sick loop from the intro to that song.

The loop starts near the very begining of the song and ends right when you can hear "Kid A Kid A" in the background.

Copy the loop and reverse it.

Play them at the same time, one panned hard right, the other hard left. The volume swell in the intro really makes the loop.

noou

Post by noou » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:11 pm

it's a wonderful sound: it's made of a rhodes + a vintage analog synth layered together. try to layer a electric piano with a polyphonic synth and tweak the synth to get that sound. it's not so difficult. anyhow the most part is the rhodes and in fact they only use rhodes to do it in concert.
the intmate sound is eq and compressor work... and that's the great Nigel Godrich: their producer. Listen to Beck's Sea Change or the latest from Paul McCartney to hear some other works with "that" sound

Frederik654

Post by Frederik654 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:28 pm

Take a listen on beatport ..

Minilogue - Certain Things EP

There's the rest of the story :wink:

I got the original release on vinyl of 'in it's right place' but it's almost unplayable in a club (unless as an intro or as a build up in te middle) but this will do the trick and it's easier to take out 'right place' afterwards.

:roll:
Live8 Suite, Logic Pro X, µTonic, Synplant, U-He ACE, U-He Zebra2.x, U-He Uhbik's, U-He DIVA, Tal Bassline, GURU, Genelec 8040's, SPL Control, Serato, Traktor, TouchAble

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:33 am

I think that song is in 10/4 time, no wonder you have trouble playing it in a club!

I have a sudden urge to remix.

I saw them do it (on TV) live at some big gig or other and it was really really good, better than the recorded version I think

continuous

Post by continuous » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:20 am

A liitle OT here but...

just can't wait to hear that new album they're working on...

Also, anybody got links to techniques/tricks they use....anything about the making of KID A etc...

cheers

noou

Post by noou » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:51 am

that would be really interesting to me too... I'm always looking to learn from the masters :wink:
maybe in some fan site we'll find something