As a DJ tool, Ableton is horrible.

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Nixon

Post by Nixon » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:15 am

As a studio production tool, Technics 1200's are rubbish.
HEHEHE :lol:

well, the beat match algorithm for 1200's is nice though :wink:

As an Ableton user, dj_statikfire is an idiot :D
macbook 2Ghz 2GB, uc33, bcf2000, triggerfinger, monomachine, live 5.2/6.0.1, ozone 3, pure data, ultralite,
http://www.myspace.com/moderndancing

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:24 am

My dad can beat up your dad.
Your favorite software sucks.

musick

Post by musick » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:54 am

robin wrote:
DISUYE wrote:As a studio production tool,
:)

Live is a performance tool first. Meant as a next gen instrument.

If it works as a DJ tool and a studio production tool then all the better.

Right that's me for this thread as I can see that it's gonna degenerate into the usual mess.
Ok, let's start the mess :)

Laptop DJ's are no real DJ's and a Mac is much better as a PC!
MacPro, Synthesizers.com modular, Logic Studio, RME FireFace 400, Waves, Live 8/Ableton Suite/Drum Machines/M4L, MaxMSP, MoogerFoogers

Out Of My System

Post by Out Of My System » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:44 am

- No realtime switching of sets / no multiple instances
Right...

If you do actually create more than one set, you can access them through the browser from within another set. That is, every individual track that you had from a completely different project, can be dropped into your current arrangement, complete with all the effects it had....

dj_statikfire

Post by dj_statikfire » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:43 pm

I'm just trying to get my 400 out of version 4.

As with everything, it's best to have multiple tools and switch between depending on the specific application.

But I do get quite a bit of mileage out of Ab4.
Check my site to see what I'm up to...

THX,
Jason D
www.statikfire.com
- downloads for club dee jays and internet radio stations
- forum with articles on mixing

Strauzzie

Post by Strauzzie » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:51 pm

dj_statikfire wrote:Check my site to see what I'm up to...
kind of sad that every one of your posts turns into self promotion.. :roll:

dj_statikfire

Post by dj_statikfire » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:16 pm

oh no, you're on to me! good catch!

'tis true, but i do like to help people where i can
but sometimes it's entertaining to shake the trees and see what happens

THX,
Jason D
www.statikfire.com

dj_statikfire

Re: As a DJ tool, Ableton is horrible.

Post by dj_statikfire » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:44 pm

- why do you need multiple cue points in one clip? make a new clip instance down the grid
Because if i want to use the same clip in multiple songs, I either have to save multiple wav files, or re-invent the wheel and set the cue points again.

- learn how to warp your tracks, you dont need autowarp if you know what you're doing
I NEVER autowarp. Because I have Live 4.

- why do you need multiple sets for DJing?? this also makes no sense to me.

It helps.

THX,
Jason D
www.statikfire.com

dj_statikfire

Post by dj_statikfire » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:49 pm

jms5881 wrote:Yeah, I too have noticed that Mixmeister has a superior beatmatching scheme going on but as far as I can tell you can only do very linear mixes. YOu can create a hitmix compilation CD with MixMeister but you can't really DJ with it.

I'm not to arms up in the air over Ableton supporting mp3's. I think the reasons for not supporting mp3's were fairly obvious in the first place. It's time to move on. ANybody out there using FLAC instead of mp3? Seems like an obvious enough switch to me but folks are slow to catch on and EDM Digital is on of the few sites offering FLAC digital downloads.

DISCLAIMER: Losers take not to how I was able to respond in this thread without sounding offended or (until now) choosing to belittle anyone for their opinion. Please think before you post dribble.

I love Ableton. I can still complain about it, because I want it to be better.
After hearing about all the trouble with crashes on L5, I think I'll skip a generation.

Mixmeister is far too linear, I completely agree, however, it's nice to use sometimes becasue with live 4, basically, I have to take an MP3, convert, and teach it where the beats are EVERY TIME! OUCH! It's so time consuming to import several tracks when preparing for a DJ gig.

Thanks for your comments. It's amazing to me that people jump on me for making comments. My tracks are all done in Ableton, and it is excellent software. But I can still complain.

THX,
Jason D
www.statikfire.com

dj_statikfire

Post by dj_statikfire » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:50 pm

Nixon wrote:
HEHEHE :lol:

As an Ableton user, dj_statikfire is an idiot :D

Thanks, bro !

THX,
Jason D
www.statikfire.com

robin

Post by robin » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:51 pm

With all due respect, what is the sense in complaining about things that have been addressed in the latest version?

serotoninsteve

Re: As a DJ tool, Ableton is horrible.

Post by serotoninsteve » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:04 pm

dj_statikfire wrote:
- why do you need multiple cue points in one clip? make a new clip instance down the grid
Because if i want to use the same clip in multiple songs, I either have to save multiple wav files, or re-invent the wheel and set the cue points again.

- learn how to warp your tracks, you dont need autowarp if you know what you're doing
I NEVER autowarp. Because I have Live 4.

- why do you need multiple sets for DJing?? this also makes no sense to me.

It helps.

THX,
Jason D

Sorry, but this forum is only for Live 5 users! :lol:

No really, I understand what you are missing, try to get 5 as fast as possible for this features.

Multiple loop points inside one clip would be cool too, that makes one single clip in Live more than one single deck in traktor as ex.
When we could see more than 1 waveform at the same time, perhaps as few as we want (that could be selectable in preferences), it would make a different approach in DJing, more like the new Traktor 3 again, perhaps less clutterless if you focus to work only on four samples on four different tracks, but everything with the huge warping, clipenvelopes and routings just available in Live.

I´m in for this idea!

Greetings
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

Moody

Post by Moody » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:37 pm

I'm confused. :?
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

dj_statikfire

Post by dj_statikfire » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:10 pm

robin wrote:With all due respect, what is the sense in complaining about things that have been addressed in the latest version?
Good point, Robin.

I'm skiddish on upgrading becasue I don't know if the crashing issue has bene completly resolved.

THX,
Jason D
www.statikfire.com

robin

Post by robin » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:14 pm

dj_statikfire wrote:
robin wrote:With all due respect, what is the sense in complaining about things that have been addressed in the latest version?
Good point, Robin.

I'm skiddish on upgrading becasue I don't know if the crashing issue has bene completly resolved.

THX,
Jason D
To put that crashing thing into perspective, I have not had one crash using 5.0.1 fo djing. Have played out a couple of times too. No issues. I'm not saying people don't have problems just that I've not seen any yet (well one bug regarding the looping following where the braces are but nothing major...it might be fixed in 5.0.2)

Live Clips make it worth the update alone. True live on the fly editting at your finger tips. Great.