midi program change to switch effect presets?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
meeble

midi program change to switch effect presets?

Post by meeble » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:34 am

heya gurus,

is there *any* possible way to send midi program change from a FCB1010 to Live 5 to switch effect presets? I do have Max/MSP, and I'm running on OSX 10.4.2.

thanks!

meeble

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:59 am

I think most people will tell you that it's not possible. as far as I know it's impossible. at least for now. unless I'm totally off my rocker.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:17 pm

Depends on what effect plugins you're talking about. Many respond to program changes, Reaktor does, I suspect max/msp is very good at it as well.

But the builtin effects don't respond to prog.change, since Ableton has moved away from the whole patch/bank paradigm altogether. Hopefully we'll see even more flexibility in this area soon.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

meeble

Post by meeble » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:12 am

thanks for the replies. Ableton tech support told me a work around:

Have the external midi controller trigger a midi clip in Live which can contain a standard midi program change. I have yet to try this, but maybe it will work.

I have a FCB1010 and want to be able to somehow switch presets in some AU Ohm Force effect plugins like OhmBoys and MobilOhm.

Any ideas?

Ironlion

Re: midi program change to switch effect presets?

Post by Ironlion » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:15 am

Did you ever get this working? I'm trying to use a MIDI clip to send a program change to the THU VST and I can't get it to work.

No matter what I set the program changes to on the Ableton MIDI clip, the VST is reading it as "CC0 (toggle)".
Clip Slot Looper for Ableton: https://performancelooper.com/shop/

yur2die4

Re: midi program change to switch effect presets?

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:31 am

There could be a few factors at play with this.

The first thing I’d check is to make sure it is not a vst3 as they do not support program change for some reason. Next I’d see if Live is able to send program change from one source to another or if it filters that out. I understand that PC can go from clips to midi out and clips to instruments in the channel. If you can get it to work with a different device using similar routing, then the problem is probably the plug-in. Also, maybe double check to make sure you’re doing the PC stuff correctly.

I might test this out myself to see if I can learn anything. (I do not have that particular plug-in)