looping but not warping

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
zenke

looping but not warping

Post by zenke » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:13 pm

Am I missing something obvious here? How do I loop a sample but not warp it. I don't want it to warp to the speed that ableton is set at.
z

sweetjesus

Re: looping but not warping

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:35 pm

zenke wrote:Am I missing something obvious here? How do I loop a sample but not warp it. I don't want it to warp to the speed that ableton is set at.
z
You can use follow actions for this I'd say. Or depending on your requirements, you could just chuck the loop in the arrangement view, then disable warping and hit ctrl+d a few times.

Ted 3000

Post by Ted 3000 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:42 pm

Yeah, turn off the warp, the drag the clip (in arrangement view) as far as you want it looping.

Who needs samples playing in time, anyway?
I monitor through a clock radio.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:58 pm

Ted 3000 wrote:Yeah, turn off the warp, the drag the clip (in arrangement view) as far as you want it looping.

Who needs samples playing in time, anyway?
Good point as far as dragging the end goes as opposed to ctrl+d a billion times, as too many audio/midi 'events' or objects seem to be one of the things that cause Live to grind.

Never have I had issues due to track counts, but too many edits... forgeddaboudit (soprano voice)..

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:58 pm

err that's tony soprano, not the Bee Gee's.

protocol

Re: looping but not warping

Post by protocol » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:11 pm

sweetjesus wrote:You can use follow actions for this I'd say.
Man, I thought about this problem a couple of times but never saw this easy way... thx

amo

Post by amo » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:23 pm

Another one is to turn warp on, and to set the tempo of the clip same as the project tempo, then it doesn't warp but can be looped.
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:10 am

amo wrote:Another one is to turn warp on, and to set the tempo of the clip same as the project tempo, then it doesn't warp but can be looped.
no, if you do that it will warp, the warping artifacts are reduced but are still audible.

try it .. record a 1 bar long bass note out of a VSTi into an audio clip then loop that clip on beats or tones (whatever) at the same tempo. You will hear the artifacts. the bassnote will 'chug ' in a 16th note pattern.

if warp is on , it is warping. There isn't an automatic cut-off if the loop original tempo is at the project tempo. Sadly

quandry

Post by quandry » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:21 am

if your clip was recorded at 120 beats per minute, and your song is at 120 beats per minute, having the clip set to "warp" (which is inherently necessary for the "loop" setting as it stands now) will not produce any artifacts in my experience. The "warp" setting is merely enabling you to use the "loop" setting in this special case. For instance, I do live looping with Live, and record clips live into Live in time with Live's tempo. I can hear absolutely no artifacts in my loops made this way. However, as soon as you change Live's tempo to one different than the tempo at which the loop was recorded, you will start to have artifacts from warping--that is when controlling the warp mode and settings can help to make warp clips sound good.

Ryan
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:16 am

oddly I just tried this out to see if I was going mad, and I am , going mad.
I recorded a low bass tone into a track and played it back warped and couldn't hear chugging. Yet I remember hearing it previously when looping stuff at the same tempo.

3 options here.

1: the app improved in some way
2: my hearing/mind deteriorated in some way.
3: parallel universe

option 3 seems the most likely. ;)

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:28 am

Angstrom wrote: 3: parallel universe

Was probably perpendicular, not parallel.

forge

Post by forge » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:11 am

Angstrom wrote:oddly I just tried this out to see if I was going mad, and I am , going mad.
I recorded a low bass tone into a track and played it back warped and couldn't hear chugging. Yet I remember hearing it previously when looping stuff at the same tempo.

3 options here.

no you're not, you just must have had it in complex. I find complex mode cant be used to play a clip at it's original tempo - it sounds REALLY shit - I'm mainly talking about full mixes as that's where I've been using complex, not sure about indiv. instruments, but tracks you would DJ with complex at their tempo are unusable and you have to either raise or lower projecct tempo. That's a pain in the arse and I posted it in the bugs section because it doesnt seem right

amo

Post by amo » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:39 am

Angstrom wrote:oddly I just tried this out to see if I was going mad, and I am , going mad.

3 options here.

Yeah I saw you there the other days, didn't seem to regognize me though, you dreamt I guess.....

On the issue, the repitch position is then the key (if the artifacts come back to the flat universe), then it won't quite pitch, and will play right.
Cheers to all of you space boys and girls,
amo
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

zenke

Post by zenke » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:23 pm

thanks everyone for the thoughts and comments. I have been trying out the ideas and the follow action one works best for me. Its interesting to set the time control to various settings and have the sample repeat at odd times.
I also used the click and drag method which works well but I was really looking for an option to use in clips view while improvising.
Is there any reason that its not possible to loop but not warp though? just wondered.
Cheers all
z

quandry

Post by quandry » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:07 pm

zenke wrote:Is there any reason that its not possible to loop but not warp though? just wondered.
Cheers all
z
Well, if your clip was recorded at any tempo other than the exact tempo that you have Live set to, it inherently must be warped to play and loop in time with Live--that is how Live works with clips at tempos other than the tempo you set Live to. I suppose some people might want to have Live loop the clip at its original tempo, reguarless of Live's tempo, but with more than one clip going using that strategy, cacophony seems to be an inevitable result. If the clip IS recorded at the same tempo as Live is set to, warp (but apparently not complex warp?!?) will not alter the original clip at all, but will allow looping of said clip. I guess I could agree that it should be possible to be able to loop a clip that matches Live's tempo without the warp on, but it is such a special case, and anyways, the warp doesn't alter the sound in my experience, so there really isn't much point.

Ryan
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net