Tc Powercore

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
ebenextra

Tc Powercore

Post by ebenextra » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:19 pm

Does anyone use tc powercore cards??

How do they gel with Live 5??

Thanks
...silly rabbit ,leave the tricks for the cats!

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:00 pm

until version 5 the powercore was not much of a viable option for Live. With the plugin delay compensation that was introduced, I have read that the Powercore stuff works great.

Are you on a notebook or a desktop? Because if I had a choice, I would choose a UAD-1 card, however they are only PCI.

Jesper

Post by Jesper » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:38 pm

Yes! :D I have a Powercore Firewire. Since I bought a compatible FW-controller card (the PoCo doesn't accept all cards, had to throw away my adaptec controller...) a week ago I have "only" had a few synchronization errors with the Filtroid plug. I haven't used it long enough to say if it can be considered "compatible enough". Looks promising though.

A drawback with the Firewire variety is that it can burden the CPU more than the PCI PoCo. I have measured 10% extra cpu load on my P4 3.2 when the PoCo is maxed out, but it seems to vary.

I'd go with the PCI if I were you.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:12 pm

Jesper wrote:Yes! :D I have a Powercore Firewire. Since I bought a compatible FW-controller card (the PoCo doesn't accept all cards, had to throw away my adaptec controller...) a week ago I have "only" had a few synchronization errors with the Filtroid plug. I haven't used it long enough to say if it can be considered "compatible enough". Looks promising though.

A drawback with the Firewire variety is that it can burden the CPU more than the PCI PoCo. I have measured 10% extra cpu load on my P4 3.2 when the PoCo is maxed out, but it seems to vary.

I'd go with the PCI if I were you.

i guess some of the serious considerations for 'compatibility' are things like, do the plugins follow envelopes correctly?

do the bmp'ed plugins get the right timing?

does it agree with Live on all samplerates?

do presets, store and recall correctly?

sorry to add more questions than answers ebenextra

atomic

Post by atomic » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:21 am

sweetjesus wrote:
Jesper wrote: do the bmp'ed plugins get the right timing?

does it agree with Live on all samplerates?

do presets, store and recall correctly?

sorry to add more questions than answers ebenextra
My element card keeps its time just fine.
The samplerate depends on the plugin. Most work up to 96k+
Presets work fine
ABIT NF7+AMDXP@2500, RME Multiface, TC Powercore Element+Virus, UAD-1, Nord Lead2, Reason2.5, impOSCar, Microtonic, Reaktor5 and some other stuff...