this forum looks hideous in Safari

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
digitalia

this forum looks hideous in Safari

Post by digitalia » Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:13 am

just thought you guys would want to know...

i hate having to boot up IE on my new mac, but i will anyway, just to hit this site....

cheers,
d
-= i.make.sound =-
-= https://www.facebook.com/v01dmusic/ =-

Chet

I'm in the same boat.

Post by Chet » Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:59 am

I can't even read this forum in safari. A while back, when trying to research Live before purchasing, I specifically remember putting off the research (and therefore the buying) because the props website was so hostile to Safari and I didn't want to boot IE at the time.

I only came back later after I got the OS X upgrade for Reason (Reason 2.0) and found that 'Audio In' was not included in Reason.

I just chalked it up to being done by a European company who probably is not as aware of the different browser and OS options.

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:04 am

What's the big deal about using IE - the most used browser in the world. Safari is nowhere near web-standards compliant, which is why you can't render this site properly.

Cheers - Elbe

Chet

Post by Chet » Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:24 am

Safari is nowhere near web-standards compliant, which is why you can't render this site properly.
Riiiight. I'm sure it's the browser and not the sight </sarcasm>. I believe it probably has more to do with the website than the browser. Oftentimes web developers don't stick to standards and code specifically for IE. Not surprisingly, M$ doesn't exactly discourage this practice.

Duh

Hmmm...

Post by Duh » Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:14 am

Seeing as the site looks fine in Netscape, Mozilla, Opera, AND Internet Explorer, I guess it really IS Safari. Duh.

And yes...as a web developer, I do have all four installed so I see how pages render. Now go get a real browser.

logicat2001

Post by logicat2001 » Fri Mar 14, 2003 7:03 am

Well Duh,

Being as I'm a web developer too, I take notice that your list of "real" browsers have issues with HTML standards too, both existing and proposed. FYI,Omniweb is another browser on Os X that can't manage the css on these pages...yet.

That's why we have standards to aspire to, duh. To drop the old b.s. line "just get a real browser" is to show the world what you think of the end user experience.

Now go back to your coding.

Best.
Logicat

Chet

Post by Chet » Fri Mar 14, 2003 8:11 am

And yes...as a web developer, I do have all four installed so I see how pages render. Now go get a real browser.
So why not install Safari so you can code accurately for that as well? Oh yeah, BTW, where's the bug report button in IE? I often have pages that only half load, or that have pics that don't load. Oh, that's right, there is no bug report button. Hmm...I guess real browsers don't need that. Hey, maybe I'll just use the imbedded google search engine in my IE to find out how to report bugs, as though anyone at M$ gives a rat's hindquarters. What? I have to go to the Google page to do that? How very 'last century'. Hmm...I guess only 'unreal' browsers need to be user friendly.[/quote]

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:19 am

Forget Safari completely and remove and destroy Internet Exploiter with extreme prejudice... they both suck ass. Use Chimera (now camino), the best browser for mac there is.

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:56 pm

Anonymous wrote:Forget Safari completely and remove and destroy Internet Exploiter with extreme prejudice... they both suck ass. Use Chimera (now camino), the best browser for mac there is.
you beat me to it :wink:

digitalia

Post by digitalia » Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:29 pm

guys, i just posted this to let whoever (webmaster) know so that they can test the site more in Safari, the new web browser that will probably eventually be bundled with MacOSX. it's just a beta now, so I assume not everyone is testing with it. almost every other site looks fine, but i notify people if they dont.

i had no intention of starting a "my web browser is better than yours" flame war.

please go back to arguing Cubase vs Logic, Mac vs Windows, Coke vs Pepsi...

d
-= i.make.sound =-
-= https://www.facebook.com/v01dmusic/ =-

tribalogical

Post by tribalogical » Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:11 pm

Hey, whaddya want for beta .6??? ::O

I'm not swearing any allegiances to browsers (and OH NO!!!!!, please...no... not the browser wars all over again!)...

I use both safari AND Camino. Whocares...? This site (and the new macromedia site) both break in safari... the vast majority don't...

Apple is working to make it top-of-class, and that's a good thing...

I'm sure it will all get sorted. In the meantime, if you're on OS X, Camino is your best front-line for now (although it seems about 50% of X users have migrated to safari already!)...

NN, IE, Opera, OmniWeb... they ALL have issues... hey, that's why we NEED so many damned browsers... no ONE of them is 100% compliant... sux, huh?

I say we throw all the bastards out and start over fresh! :)

peace,

tribalogical

Chet

Post by Chet » Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:13 pm

Use Chimera (now camino), the best browser for mac there is.
Except that it crashes quite regularly.

geargasm

Post by geargasm » Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:21 pm

Would some user just rewrite the god damned stylesheet for christs sake? Quit your bitching!
I am the bumpitron.

Credo

Post by Credo » Sat Mar 15, 2003 6:55 pm

I like Pizza!

BTW I also used the bugg function in Safari to tell Apple about this too.
I hate browserwars but love Safari.

Bless you all!

C

carmen

Post by carmen » Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:26 am

> hey, that's why we NEED so many damned browsers... no ONE of them is 100% compliant... sux, huh?

actually, IE6 on winXP is 100% compliant. ive not run into a single webpage that didnt render properly in the 2 years that have passed since installing the first XP developer beta in march 2001...