Quality drum hits/kits, where?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
alichis

Quality drum hits/kits, where?

Post by alichis » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:21 pm

I have been having difficulty finding good quality drum samples or kits i can use with Impulse. Can anyone recommend a place that provides good drum samples?

Some artists that do it for me drum-wise are:

Dr Dre, Dj Premier, Pete Rock, Daft Punk, Les Ryhthmes Digitales, Cassius

so... good hiphop/dance beats required.

If there is a free resource, cool. If i have to pay for something then that's ok too as long as they are good i'l be happy to fork out something

Any information you can offer would be highly appreciated.
many thanks

signal

Post by signal » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:34 pm

"Dr Dre, Dj Premier, Pete Rock, Daft Punk, Les Ryhthmes Digitales, Cassius"

you answered your own question.

alichis

Post by alichis » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:46 am

I guess you're you suggesting that i sample the records. Sureley there are legal issues regarding this? Iv'e sampled single drum hits like this before but they often are coloured by background synth or whatever, but yes, you've inspired me to look out some old records and get sampling.

I would still like to find a good resource for these types of drum sounds, especially snares, i love a good snare!

theofficials

Re: Quality drum hits/kits, where?

Post by theofficials » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:00 am

alichis wrote:
If there is a free resource, cool... Any information you can offer would be highly appreciated.
many thanks
If you have a look over @ Acapellas4u alichis there's a wicked collection of original drum kit sounds from over 50 individual drum machines - go and look in the SamplePacks forum section.
TheOfficials / ACAPELLAS4U
P4 2.8Mhz + /1Gb of Crucial DDR Ram 1 x 200gb SATA+ 1x80gb IDE

spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:03 am

there is nothing like recording a real drum kit .
that is probably how the guys you mentioned get their drum sound .

theofficials

Post by theofficials » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:05 am

spiderprod wrote:there is nothing like recording a real drum kit .
absolutely spider. and there's a pethora of quality 24bit drum sound samplecds out on the market aren't there.

cherry-k

Post by cherry-k » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:23 am

Take a look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Real-Drums-Sample-CD ... dZViewItem

I bought the 16-Bit edition and really like it.

greetz

cherry
cheers, michael

*MacOS 10.8*iMac-i7*32GB*motu ultralite mk1*
*Live 3-9 suite*AD*AK*AmpegSVX*
*tubeamps*guild-guitars+basses*and myself*

need real guitar- or bass-trax??? send PM!

spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:46 pm

theofficials wrote:
spiderprod wrote:there is nothing like recording a real drum kit .
absolutely spider. and there's a pethora of quality 24bit drum sound samplecds out on the market aren't there.
i used to use those sample you mentioned , yes they are good quality ,but you can spend days programing a drum sequence when a drummer will do it in an hour .
also the dynamic you get when adding a room sound , a real reverb or the cupboard mic that gives you the depth can only be recorded from a real kit . i tryed to get those sub sound by recording the sound played on a speaker in a recording room ,it does the job but you start getting a pro result when you have at least 2k of pa sound .

alichis

Post by alichis » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:22 pm

i actually have a trashy drum kit that i might try to record. It's got a nice snappy snare that could sound pretty sweet for hip-hop/dance if recorded right.

I have a Shure sm-58, and also recently ordered an Audio Technica AT 4033a capacitor mic (which is in the post).

Anyone had any experience in recording drums? Do you know how to record to give the best result?

many thanks folks

spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:38 pm

alichis wrote:i actually have a trashy drum kit that i might try to record. It's got a nice snappy snare that could sound pretty sweet for hip-hop/dance if recorded right.

I have a Shure sm-58, and also recently ordered an Audio Technica AT 4033a capacitor mic (which is in the post).

Anyone had any experience in recording drums? Do you know how to record to give the best result?

many thanks folks
you need to mic up the whole kit ,1 mic for each toms 1 top snare 1 bottom snare (phased) ,2 overhead (panned) 1 hat .
i usually have 1 room mic 1 cupboard mic & a wall mic .
for a basic beatles kit with 2 toms 1 snare a kik 3 snares & a hat you need at least 10 mic if you want to have a good sound .
i use condensers for all the mics ,the best kik mic is for me the akg d112 ,the rest is a question of taste ,you can get a basic drum mic kit for less than a grand .

but as i always say to drummers , fuck the technique ,remember the beatles they only used 2 mics on their drums .

alichis

Post by alichis » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:35 pm

thanks spider, that's interesting about the beatles! I really like their drums aswell, prob my fav band as a matter of fact :)
If recording my drum kit i think i would record each hit seperately i.e Kick, snare, closed hh, open hh, tom etc etc

then sequence the beats myself. A lot of people probably hate this type of recording but that's the sound i'm going for, tight sequenced Hip hop or Dance beats.

If i'm happy with the results i'l be sure to post it here

alichis

Post by alichis » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:49 pm

forgot to say thanks to you other guys, just checkin out the drum samples on acapellas looks excellent! cheers

theofficials

Post by theofficials » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:01 pm

alichis wrote:forgot to say thanks to you other guys, just checkin out the drum samples on acapellas looks excellent! cheers
:D - put them up there meself, I thought you'd like 'em. sweet..

martin808

Post by martin808 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:26 pm

am i missing something?
i cant download anything from those forums.

martin808

Post by martin808 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:39 pm

doh! :oops:

hadn't registered. checkin them out now.