Live as a Podcast Recorder?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aienn

Live as a Podcast Recorder?

Post by aienn » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:09 pm

I thought, why not. I got some jingles, some mp3 files and a microphone, so it might be a small radio show. However, I never ever used external recording capabilities in Live (it's Live 5) before and right now I'm a bit stuck.

Basicly what I want to achieve: place everything (music and jingles) in its dedicated slots in Session View, select one track as Mic-In, put the signal coming from the Mic-In through a compressor and play it live and talk it to the Microphone, recording the entire set in Arrangement then rendering it and converting to mp3 and posting on the web.

Could anyone clarify me on how this could be wired in the mixer?

a.

telekom

Post by telekom » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:17 pm

Hi alenn,
Yep it all sounds good. Just route each track to the master out. You might want your headphones on when you're talking so you don't get spill and feedback from monitors into the mic. Set up tracks for mic, jingles, and then as many tracks as you want for music playback (2 should do it!). But since it isn't going out live on air you can spend as much time as you want tweaking the sound in the monitors afterwards. You could even mix it afterwards rather than actually doing a "live" playback of the whole show.

Enjoy. Post us a link when you've finished it!
:)
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

aienn

Post by aienn » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:29 pm

Hi telekom :) Um, it would be in Russian so I doubt it'll be of any good :) I usually use Live for production and for live playing but this time i decided to go different.

But then - if I route everything to master... Um, how do I record Mic-In and how do I record the entire session in Arrangement - I mean, everything in one go?

netchaiev

Post by netchaiev » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:15 pm

In the preferences, go to input and select the source(soundcard or audio-in). Back to session view, select the track you want the mic in and enable recording (click the button that's like a midi plug) press the now round button of clip to start recording. When you done press space to stop and record as many clips as you like. You can then record your entire podcast/show to edit it in arrnge view. You can record portion a t a time, whatever you like. When you're done, render to disk!!!!!!!
Good Luck,
and post a link, even in rusky so we can enjoy the music and all!!!!!!

PS: BTW, evry track is routed to master by default.
MBP 2011/i7/10.8/Live 8 Suite/M4L+Launchpad+TF+KorgNano.
http://soundcloud.com/netchaiev
http://www.vimeo.com/user408737