export to individual wav

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mbazzy

export to individual wav

Post by Mbazzy » Sat Mar 02, 2002 6:29 pm

My Live! is due any moment, but I haven't been able to figure out following .
In arranger mode, can I export the individual trax as individual wav files?

(If it can it most probably would replace my AcidPro as arrangertool, beside the (obvious) livefunctionality)

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Sat Mar 02, 2002 7:20 pm

Simple: Just record your arrangement and automation like you normally would (so it is shown in the Arrange View). Then select a track for recording, select Master Out as the input, so the sequences in the track have red dots flashing. Make sure the cursor in Arrange is at the right position, hit Play in the first sequence of the track that's record enabled, and wait until the arrangement is finished playing. Voilà - you get a wav file in the pre-allocated folder on your hard drive!

Hope this gets you going.
FORMAT

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Sat Mar 02, 2002 8:33 pm

OK .. so far i understand (and probably even better when I have the full version installed)... but is there a way to do this automatically for eg. 35 trax?

(When arranging in Acid I go upto 50 trax and more ....)

btester

Post by btester » Sun Mar 03, 2002 6:05 am

You can include as many tracks as you want to get the final stereo file. Just make sure all the tracks that you want to include in the bounce are active.

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Sun Mar 03, 2002 8:20 am

Sorry that i wasn't entirely clear, but I want to export every single sequencertrack in the arranger as individual (wav)files for further (offline) processing/mixdown/mastering, not the entire project to one stereo-wav.

As long as you have projects that are not too big, it's a breeze to do this manually (in the way as is suggested here) but when you start having projects that start going over 20-30 trax (and more) , this is cumbersome.

I do admit that this question comes out of the fact that I 'd like to use Live! the other way around as well : composing/sequencing and editing beforehand in arrangermode (roughly what i do now in Acid) and not by editing what was recorded in session-mode.

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Sun Mar 03, 2002 10:48 pm

Yes, you can do this: Just mute the tracks you do not wish to bounce, and bounce one after the other.

Greets
Format

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Mon Mar 04, 2002 8:58 pm

..ok, so I have to do it by hand ....
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

ton

How do you do it in Acid?

Post by ton » Sun Apr 21, 2002 12:06 pm

Mbazzy wrote: ..ok, so I have to do it by hand ....
Can you do this automatically in Acid? If yes, how? (e.g. you have 14 Tracks and want to get 14 wave files, automatically)

Thanks.

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:52 am

Yes you can but you need the Acid Pro version.
Than you have under the 'Render as' box a checkbox option 'save each track as individual file'.

It's my understanding that the new version of Live! also does this ... allowing me to ditch Acid completely instead of making 'studio' and 'Live(!)' arrangements of a track
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

ton

Post by ton » Mon Apr 22, 2002 9:52 am

Mbazzy wrote: It's my understanding that the new version of Live! also does this ... allowing me to ditch Acid completely instead of making 'studio' and 'Live(!)' arrangements of a track
It's one of the most important features in my opinion. So which version of Live can do this?

Is there a way to match a song which has not always the same tempo to a certain tempo for using with other loops?

Which program is better for this, Acid or Live?

Gerhard

Post by Gerhard » Mon Apr 22, 2002 10:14 am

> It's one of the most important features in my opinion. So which version of Live can do this?

Version 1.5 has a Render-to-Disk command for conveniently exporting arrangements to audio files. There is no option for rendering each track as an individual file yet, so you will have to do it several goes.

> Is there a way to match a song which has not always the same tempo to a certain tempo for using with other loops?

Which program is better for this, Acid or Live?

To my knowledge, Live is the only program that play songs with unsteady tempo in sync with the project tempo. This requires you to set Warp Markers, a procedure which is explained in the manual.

Gerhard
ableton

ton

Post by ton » Mon Apr 22, 2002 10:34 am

Gerhard wrote: To my knowledge, Live is the only program that play songs with unsteady tempo in sync with the project tempo. This requires you to set Warp Markers, a procedure which is explained in the manual.
No, Acid can even export a midi-file with the tempo variations. But there you have to set all the critical parts, which can take hours and hours with no result. I think it should be similar in Live.

Gerhard

Post by Gerhard » Mon Apr 22, 2002 11:40 am

ton wrote:
Gerhard wrote: To my knowledge, Live is the only program that play songs with unsteady tempo in sync with the project tempo. This requires you to set Warp Markers, a procedure which is explained in the manual.
No, Acid can even export a midi-file with the tempo variations. But there you have to set all the critical parts, which can take hours and hours with no result. I think it should be similar in Live.
Have I missed something, or are we talking of different things? Suppose I have a WAV file that's 10 minutes long. A jazz band playing a piece. I want to import that piece in such a way that it will play at the project tempo, so I can have loops play along with it in sync. ACID 3.0 offers the BeatMapper wizard for defining where the downbeat is, and what the original tempo of the recording is. But there can only be one tempo for the entire sample. If the jazz band has played with tempo changes, I will not get it to play in sync with my loops. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Gerhard
ableton

ton

Post by ton » Mon Apr 22, 2002 11:50 am

I'm not sure, too. But any software (Acid or Live) which wouldn't support this kind of working would be boring for me. Just taking perfect in time loops and playing around with them isn't what I want. Then I would continue using my sequencer.

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Mon Apr 22, 2002 12:18 pm

Gerhard wrote: Version 1.5 has a Render-to-Disk command for conveniently exporting arrangements to audio files. There is no option for rendering each track as an individual file yet, so you will have to do it several goes.

That's a pity ...though I can't imagine this should be that difficult programming-wise to implement now the render-to-disk functionality is there. Acid does it by running all files one by one through a solo, muting the rest.

Somehow I think it's an important issue for the control of the multi-track mixdown