Mastering levels

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Mastering levels

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:11 pm

Hi I need someones feedback
im trying to master the levels on the music ive made and im not shure if i should drop a coulple hundred on some 40w powered monitors or if it is possible i could use an audio reciever with dolby 5.1 surround sound. i dont know if ill be missing out on something really critical if i go with the less expensive equipment
thanks to anyone who can give advice.

pgunders

Post by pgunders » Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:32 am

I'm no expert, but if money is tight try listening to your mixes on as many different kinds of speakers as possible (actually, do this even if you do buy monitors). What sounds great on the speakers at home often sounds horrible in my car. If I can get a mix that sounds good on a home stereo, a modest car stereo, and headphones, then I'm happy.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:06 pm

Yes thank you for your advice. i have been trying to incorporate using diferent listening sources latelely.
but what my main concern is why do profesional recording studios always use powered monitors like Events or m-audios bx-5s or yamaha px512 are pretty popular models too. Is there any reason i should not rely on home entertainmetn speakers and subwoofers?

monolake

mastering

Post by monolake » Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:13 pm

it also depends on what kind of music you do for which purpose.

if you want to create a club track it is a good idea to find a way to play it in a club before it eventually is going to be released. it often happens to me that i think a mix is really _massive_ and if i try it in a typical club situation it sounds bad and then i go home and change the mix and try again.

on the other hand a more experimental track for a CD should sound best on a typical home system since you will not listen to it in your car durning rush hour or in a club on the main floor.

if you have the chance that someone else who`s got some experience in it can master your tracks and he has good speakers ( and a good soundig room which is often more important ! ) then you can pretty much relly on your home stereo sytem - if it sounds good there and simmliar to other music you like then it cannot be that wrong.

there is alomst nothing more complicated then finding the right speakers.
price is no criteria at all. i know very expensive studio monitors which i simply do not like and which i would not like to work with and i love my old GDR speakers at home because if it sounds good on them it sounds good almost everywhere.

also a boring piece of music is boring even if it sounds good. a good piece of music still makes fun to listen even if it comes out of a pair of laptop speakers ( well, not true for every kind of music, but for an R`n B track this should be a valid criteria ...)

robert

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:46 am

keep in mind that most home stereo equipment is designed to make everything sound good, which is real bad for mixing. when i first started out, i mixed on my hom stereo, and all my mixes sounded wonderfull...but only on my home stereo, the minute i moved it to another locale, it sounded terrible. now i compose and mix mostly on headphones, but i check my mixes on my laptop speakers, a little pair of computer monitors, my buddy's rediculous car system and a few other poeples stereos. it usually comes out to be listenable.

k