MOTU 828/OS X issues!! HELP!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mimesis

MOTU 828/OS X issues!! HELP!!

Post by mimesis » Sun Mar 16, 2003 4:24 am

Lots of issues!! I am running Live 2.03 w/OS 10.2.4 on an 867DP w/1.75GB RAM with a MOTU 828. I am running Reason 2.01 on a tibook 667 DVI w/1GB RAM and controlling Live (on the 867DP) on the tibook remotely w/ apple remote desktop withe an m-audio radium. so currently my set up is like this-

in 1-2 is vocals and effects
in 3-4 is reason (tibook via mono to stereo analog)
in 5-6 is kick and overhead drums
in 7-8 is guitar and bass

half the time I only get sound on either the left or the right... and I don't get it! Is it possible to turn each mono signal to stereo in live? Is this a Live issue or a MOTU issue?

and I also want to utilize either the TosLink/Adat/lightpipe input on the 828 (in 9-10) I have a usb to lightpipe out but the 828 is not recognizing it.

And lastly- anyone tried to use a Behringer fcb1010 foot controller in either live or reason, or direct via the 828?

Thanks in advance!
www.myspace.com/imimesis
live 6.0.5, Logic 7.1.1 OS X 10.4.8, minimoog voyager EB, MF-104Z Analog Delay, MF ring mod, Machinedrum SPS-1 UW, Virus TI desktop, PMG5 2.0DP/1.5GB, Mackie Control/XT/C4, MOTU midi express 8X8, AKAI MPD 16, MOTU TRAVELER.

harb

Post by harb » Sun Mar 16, 2003 7:52 pm

mimesis,

"so currently my set up is like this-
in 1-2 is vocals and effects
in 3-4 is reason (tibook via mono to stereo analog)
in 5-6 is kick and overhead drums
in 7-8 is guitar and bass"

Do you have a stereo mini plug going from the powerbook to a dual 1/4" on inputs 3-4 on the 828? I do not understand how or why you would be going from mono to stereo, unless you have funky cables. You can just use one of the inputs (3-4) and pan it to the center in Live....

"half the time I only get sound on either the left or the right... and I don't get it! Is it possible to turn each mono signal to stereo in live? Is this a Live issue or a MOTU issue? "

This is not an issue, if I understand your question correctly. Go to the bus veiw in Live, ( the icon in the bottom right that looks like a school bus) here you can "link" inputs to act as stereo or unlink to make them behave as mono. The only way you can make a mono track act as stereo is to unlink and pan the mono track to center, sending it equally to the left and right outputs.

"and I also want to utilize either the TosLink/Adat/lightpipe input on the 828 (in 9-10) I have a usb to lightpipe out but the 828 is not recognizing it."

I believe the 828 disables Lightpipe by default. Turn it on in the 828 control panel or in the Live audio preferences. I do not know of any usb to lightpipe adapter, is it optical s/pdif. ADAT is 8 channels, optical s/pdif is 2.
USB would most likely "choke" trying to do 8 channels because of its bandwidth limitations.....

"And lastly- anyone tried to use a Behringer fcb1010 foot controller in either live or reason, or direct via the 828?"

I have not used this device, it has midi and footswitch jacks? You need a midi interface, as the Radium has no midi input, to get full functionality from this device. The 828 footswitch input may not be functional outside of Digital Performer. So go midi......

Hope this is helpful,

harb

mimesis

Post by mimesis » Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:24 am

Harb, thank you for your detailed response! To answer your questions-

"Do you have a stereo mini plug going from the powerbook to a dual 1/4" on inputs 3-4 on the 828?"

Yes, because I have stereo effects through reason- and if I used just 1 input -in 3 or 4, my experience is that either the left or right would have no sound- although I have not tried the "bussing" feature you suggested (I had no idea that feature existed (thanks!)

"I do not know of any usb to lightpipe adapter, is it optical s/pdif"

this link contains a picture of the device I am trying to use, it is called "pc link" it came with a sony MD unit...

http://www.minidisc.org/images/sony_mzr700dpc.jpg

so I am looking for some kind of digital out to use with the 828... any of these look like the trick?

http://www.minidisco.com/computer-audio.html

and here's the link for the Behringer fcb1010:

http://www.digitalvillage.co.uk/aproduc ... uctid=2697

I have it but do not have a midi "in box" yet- maybe the
m-audio midisport 4x4 would do the trick ?

http://m-audio.com/products/midiman/USB4x4.php

and also I want to utilize the sustain switch on the radium...

and lastly, does reason support 2 midi inputs

thanks again
www.myspace.com/imimesis
live 6.0.5, Logic 7.1.1 OS X 10.4.8, minimoog voyager EB, MF-104Z Analog Delay, MF ring mod, Machinedrum SPS-1 UW, Virus TI desktop, PMG5 2.0DP/1.5GB, Mackie Control/XT/C4, MOTU midi express 8X8, AKAI MPD 16, MOTU TRAVELER.

harb

Post by harb » Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:34 pm

mimesis,

"this link contains a picture of the device I am trying to use, it is called "pc link" it came with a sony MD unit... "

A lot of Sony stuff is quite proprietary, it may just not work. If it shows up like an audio interface in Core audio (OSX) or sound manager (os9), it should work.

"so I am looking for some kind of digital out to use with the 828... any of these look like the trick?"

Many of those interfaces would work, I would stick with M-audio stuff or possibly the Edirol.

"I have it but do not have a midi "in box" yet- maybe the
m-audio midisport 4x4 would do the trick ?"

The 4x4 would work....

"and lastly, does reason support 2 midi inputs"

Reason does not support multiple midi inputs, a midi merge box may do the trick...

P.S. I just noticed your location says Seattle. I work at a small shop called petosa music, I may be able to offer some more help talking face to face. I am not sales pitching, just helping another live user in the 206....

harb

mimesis

REALLY!

Post by mimesis » Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:50 pm

That's great! I think I've talked to you before.... I love that place!! It's like 5 MIN away from me.... thanks for your help, I'll be in soon :D
www.myspace.com/imimesis