Another Lemur Thread

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Benno

Another Lemur Thread

Post by Benno » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:53 pm

Like many on this forum i dismissed the Lemur when i first saw it. I thought it would never catch on. Now i have started to take proper notice i realise that this could be the ultimate controller... for everything. Damn, i bet you could even configure it to turn the lights down in your studio.

My question really is am i missing something? To me, this is completely future proof am i right? Cansomeone convince me that even if i never touch the OSC protocol, it would be worth buying simply as a midi controller?

It seems like even just using MIDI, with a bit of work i could have a custom controller for everything i own.

Any comments? You reckon it would be difficult to program ? I really need someone to put me off here coz im on the verge of cracking and taking the plunge. Im just worried i could be buying a £1500 Etch-a-Sketch.

Benno

Post by Benno » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:25 pm

Oh, and anyone know where i can get the manual?

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:29 pm

Download the free Jazz Editor utility and try it out! It's lots of fun. You can see the potential with an unlimited number (OK, 1024!) of faders, buttons, etc, even without touching OSC and the tons of logic (gravity, etc) you can apply to the controllers.

Saving my pennies, however, I think it should be larger.

gomi

Re: Another Lemur Thread

Post by gomi » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:51 pm

http://www.jazzmutant.com/workshop_soft ... p?id=live5

This is what you want to read.

I want one so bad.

buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:53 pm

Lemur would be the Ultimate contoller for Plug-in effects and instruments, if you didn't have to configure it each time manually.

This is true, I suppose, of any controller, but I bet you could go a step further with the Lemur.

It would be great if, when you open a plugin, it could automatically send a message (via MIDI or OSC) to the JazzEditor prompting it to open a template for that effect or synth and automatically link the two (in a way that you customized in advance). So that anytime I open ImpOscar, there's my ImpOscar template ready to go right on the Lemur.

Either the plugin or the host would have to be able to communicate with the JazzEditor and also be able to link patameters to control objects automatiaclly.

I'm not sure if Max/MSP is already able to do something like this via OSC. Does anyone know?
MBP C2D 2.33GHz---Metric Halo MIO 2882

Benno

Post by Benno » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:21 pm

thanks for the link to the Ableton map. It didnt help, i want one even more now! :x

As far as reprogramming it each time, i dont think you would have too. It can be configured to show thumb nails on the current project. So, and im assuming now, you could set up a template for imposcar and put the thumbnail onto the lemur ableton sequencer page. Then, simply launch imposcar in ableton, then click the imposcar thumbnail on the lemur and your ready to go.

Am i right here?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:38 pm

Benno wrote:i want one even more now! :x
Get broke or die trying :lol:

Seriously... The day you buy this... They'll announce Lemur 2 :wink:

Benno

Post by Benno » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:06 pm

tell me about it. Mind you no need to buy it, just open up lemur 1 and make a new template!! :lol:

buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:08 pm

Benno wrote: As far as reprogramming it each time, i dont think you would have too. It can be configured to show thumb nails on the current project. So, and im assuming now, you could set up a template for imposcar and put the thumbnail onto the lemur ableton sequencer page. Then, simply launch imposcar in ableton, then click the imposcar thumbnail on the lemur and your ready to go.

Am i right here?

Hey Benno,

I'm really not sure what you mean here. :? If you don't feel like explaining it again, could you post a link to where you read this specific feature. I can't seem to find out anything about thumbnails from the jazzmutant site...

Thanks.

Benno

Post by Benno » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:18 pm

Hey Buzzcock, no problem.

"The Lemur can deal with a great number of interfaces simultaneously. Thanks to the +/- navigation buttons, you can navigate on-the-fly among those. The Lemur also features an Interface List button that opens a thumbnail gallery displaying all the current interfaces. Thus, you can directly go to the selected interface by touching the corresponding thumbnail. The interface change happens without any latency."

" Page Up and Down buttons above the display will flip through your pre-defined interface pages, instantly changing the appearance and behavior of the device. One moment you can be mixing by moving several faders simultaneously. The next moment you can be controlling a software synth or composing real-time video sequences with switches and balls that can be thrown around in a two-dimensional space."

www.jazzmutant.com./lemur_features.php

Hope this helps. :D

guatamaham

Post by guatamaham » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:04 pm

the lemur seems amazing. the only thing putting me off on it (and I'm guessing this is true for most people) is the price. well, that and I'd prefer to see how well it works out for other Live users - let others be the guinea pigs! :-D

anyway, I'm curious... how much do you think they have in these things just in hardware? I'd imagine at least $1500; I mean if you consider it sort of being a tablet PC with a touch-sensitive screen (i.e. use fingers instead of stylus) then it'd be around there right? so the other $1K is in R&D then?

if my estimate is too low, then this favors the lemur for me - less of a dramatic markup makes it easier to justify purchasing something so expensive. if its too high, then its even harder to consider purchasing this beauty...

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:05 pm

i've just started using a bcr2000 with mackie control emulation, and i hate to think how good a lemur would be with some mackie emulation set up on it as well!! everytime i think i don't need one i find another reason...
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:36 pm

Thanks again Benno, I guess it was right there afterall.
:wink:

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:46 am

I mean if you consider it sort of being a tablet PC with a touch-sensitive screen (i.e. use fingers instead of stylus) then it'd be around there right?
remember it has a multi touch screen which ain't that common. i would assume that'd add a bit in parts, manufacturing AND R & D given no one else seems to be using that type of screen in a product at the moment.
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

AltDel

Post by AltDel » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:51 pm

just found that on the jazzmutant list :

http://www.twelfthroot.com/lemur/

MacBook, Live, Kore, Komplete, Max/MSP, hammerfall and so on