Making the transition from SF Acid.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MARK EG

Making the transition from SF Acid.

Post by MARK EG » Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:01 am

Can anyone on this board help/advise me?

1) Basically I've recently decided to move over to the Mac for all my sequencing on SX. I'm pretty good with Cubase so I still want to use SX as my main sequencing package. But a big part of my music making process is using Sonic Foundry's ACID on the PC to put my loops together. I need to be able to build up around 15-20 loops by previewing them like in ACID 1.0 over the track I'm constructing (where it loops the loop preview in exactly the number of bars that the main track is on). Acid 2-3 + 4 doesn't do this. It plays the whole loop no matter what the number of bars the main track is set to - thus I can't really hear what the loop is going to sound like until I actually put it into the main track.

Would be Ableton Live be able to do this? Can version 2.0 do it?

2) Secondly. I need to be able to manipulate my loops totally like ACID. ie cut and paste parts of my loops into different places to create a new manipulated loop based around the old one. Can I do this is ableton? Are there scissors and rubber tools like in Cubase/Acid or is it done differently?

3) Finally, and most essentially, I then need to export each of my manipulated loops as SEPERATE aiff/wav files, to put into Cubase SX.

Any answers to these q's would be greatly appreciated. If Abelton can do all this, I'm 100% sold!!!!!

Thanks in advance :=]

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:26 am

mark, Live can do all of that with exception of your first request, but could
you explain that one again. what do you mean by "preview loop over the track"
do you mean that you can preview the loop in sync with your track before you add it to your track, if so Live can do this.

MARK EG

Post by MARK EG » Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:16 am

I mean, if the main track loop I am working on is 2 beats long - and looping, but the loop I am previewing is 4 beats long, will the preview play just 2 beats and loop around - just like the main track - or will it loop around it's full length.

BTW I had a look at Ableton 1 once and I couldn't see a way to export seperate WAV files for each track. Has this feature only just been added in 2.0?

Many thanks for any help!

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:30 am

yeah the feature has been added, check out the current demo, you'll love it, your not restricted to the clips you can stay in arranger view and work like acid entirely if you like, with the Live bonuses

anyway now that I understand your main question tell me which way would you prefer it to be? so in acid would the preview loop at 2bars or the full 4 bars?

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:41 pm

You can render to disk now, but can't automagically render each individual track to disk ... you still need to do it manually by solo'ing/muting the trax .... a minor drawback from Live, I admit ...
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:00 pm

well it's like this... for the style of music i make (hard techno), i like to start with kick and sub bass on a one beat loop - it makes it more aggressive. i listen to the previews of kick and bass on this 1 beat loop and stick them in the track when i like them. then i'll open up the loop in the arrangement to 2 bars and add some percussion, listening carefully to what fits on the preview and then putting it in the track. then so on an so forth until i get to 16 beats (although the stuff added on 16 beat is usually one note hits rather than loops).

is this all really possible in live?

MARK EG

Post by MARK EG » Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:17 pm

That was me BTW!

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:34 pm

not absolutely sure yet, you didn't answer my last question.

"so in acid 1.0 would the preview loop at 2bars or the full 4 bars?"

MARK EG

Post by MARK EG » Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:19 pm

the preview loop would start at the beginning of it's loop. ie 0 bars.....

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:26 am

But in acid 1.0 does it play all the way through to 4 bars and loop or does it loop at the 2bar mark?