bcr2000 problems

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eyeknow

bcr2000 problems

Post by eyeknow » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:29 am

I'll try one more time with this thing..........until the next time I try it one last time.......

I was under the impression that the bcr 2000 would have a saved parameters that when you turn on live it is already set up to control things. Maybe I'm wrong.....

If not, I cannot get it to work right. I have deleted everything behringer/bcr to start over in case I did something wrong in set up. The manual is killin' me, It just doesn't make any clear direction for step by step imo.

Anyways, if you could help that would be great.......

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:03 pm

oh and a bump to get it to the top..........

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:59 pm

you'd rather think of it the other way around: if you do your mapping in Live, it's Live that remembers your settings. it's on a per set basis. but you can also do some mapping in your default template. it will load each time up and running.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:40 pm

peeddrroo wrote:you'd rather think of it the other way around: if you do your mapping in Live, it's Live that remembers your settings. it's on a per set basis. but you can also do some mapping in your default template. it will load each time up and running.
Ok, so that is the deal.

The thing that has me "confused" is that you save/edit settings in the bcr/save them.......which led me to believe that if you save pretsets (bcr) they will automatically work with every live set you have. In fact, what I think you are saying is as long as it's a saved live template, it will work.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:06 am

for certain programs such as reason, pro53, b4, it would work the way you think, because they have controllers already assigned. so you can create a preset for each device.
in live it works differently, as no midi parameter is preprogrammed, you assign them the way you want. thus the presets are saved in the live set, not in the bcr.

it has pros and cons, but it's the way it works.

continuous

Post by continuous » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:10 am

Have you checked out the Mackie preset on your BCR? It does sorta what you want...it always controls various things in LIVE no matter what without saetting up a template. I am enjoying using that preset to control LIVE itself, and setting up various other presets to control vsti's, Reason when rewired, etc. Hope this doesn't confuse the issue, if so ignore!

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:38 am

The BCR doesnt have a mackie preset i dont think?

You gotta get the little program which emulates mackie control mode, then you can use the BCR in the way that you describe.

continuous

Post by continuous » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:55 am

I'm referencing this...

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26545

...it's a Mackie control emulation preset that you can dump into your BCR. Maybe I got confused, apologies if so.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:02 am

Thanks for the replys......

I took the bcr back, I might try the bcf later.......but I have had my eye on the project i/o and would most likely save up for it rather than putting money into something else

I do appreciate the help

TonySoprano

Post by TonySoprano » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:39 am

I'm having trouble getting my head around it too. What I'm trying to do is, for example, is whenever I drag an Operator instance to a new track, the same knobs on the BCR control the same parameters in Operator. So in essence, I'd have a default Operator that I can use in any track, and know in advance which knob alters which parameter? Possible?

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:44 am

TonySoprano wrote:I'm having trouble getting my head around it too. What I'm trying to do is, for example, is whenever I drag an Operator instance to a new track, the same knobs on the BCR control the same parameters in Operator. So in essence, I'd have a default Operator that I can use in any track, and know in advance which knob alters which parameter? Possible?
nicht.
you have to re-assign all the knobs each time you load an operator.
that's not very cool, but that's the counterpart of being able to assign any midi controller to any parameter.
maybe the abes will come with a solution someday.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:00 pm

man, you guys are LAZY! It's so simple to assign MIDI cc# into Ableton!

What I did was to make a few different .als files with typical setups I like to start with, then I go in and assign MIDI cc# into Ableton. One of the setups I set as my template.

So... I have one .als files set up with
- 8 audio tracks with delay, beat repeat, EQ and Auto filter on each
Another with
- 8 midi tracks with scale, chord, arpeggiator on each track
another with
- 4 audio tracks and 4 midi tracks with the above effects on each track

ALL of them have the top encoder groups/buttons with more or less the same functions: quantise, BPM, scene select/launch, clip launch, fader, etc. These take up most of channel 16

On the BCR I mapped out on different presets where the controls for each effect are, ie preset 1 are controls for delay 1-4, preset 2 are controls for delay 5-8, etc. I set the BCR up so that the top encoders are always the same and on channel 16, then the bottom encoders I start out at channel 15 cc#1-36, the next preset is channel 15 cc# 37-72, etc.

Even then if you want to use an knob in Ableton, just assign it, it's so SIMPLE and takes all of 3 seconds.

Me, Myself & I and I

Post by Me, Myself & I and I » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:03 pm

continuous wrote:I'm referencing this...

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26545

...it's a Mackie control emulation preset that you can dump into your BCR. Maybe I got confused, apologies if so.
The site with the Mackie control emulation seems to be down :cry:

Somebody has it and can mail it to me?

edit:

Got it now...

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:45 pm

Lazy might be a little harsh.........

I'm starting to think faderfox maybe........?

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:09 am

eyeknow wrote:Lazy might be a little harsh.........
true. 8)

but so is giving up on a product because it isn't pre-programmed to do what you want out of the box when it's so easy to program the BCR and Live.

there's a dozen fine controller boxes out there, nothing is ideal for everyone.