Is my Mastering up to par?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Ambioun - Techno Man

Is my Mastering up to par?

Post by Ambioun - Techno Man » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:26 pm

Listen and leave comments on mastering and if you want, about the track. I used Waves 5 to master.

http://s43.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3U9G ... P3AN8NTJR7

Enjoy.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:32 pm

Waves 5....... what.. ?

Ambioun - Techno Man

Post by Ambioun - Techno Man » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:41 pm

Waves 5. you know, the masting plugins? They released the version 5 demo and decided to master my track.

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:58 pm

Sounds very balanced to me. Listening to it on Event PS8 monitors. Nice smooth bass. I'm burning this to cd so that I can listen in my car(pretty bumpin sound system) on the way to work tomorrow. The drums cut through the mix without being too loud.

What did you use for glassy/metallic strings? Operator, Absynth?

Nice track!

Pro sounding to me 8)

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:02 pm

Ambioun - Techno Man wrote:Waves 5. you know, the masting plugins? They released the version 5 demo and decided to master my track.
yea i know
Waves is a company. 5 is a version.

but which plug-ins did you use?
Waves only makes about 50 or 60 of them.

anyways,
sounds phenominal! :D

clipperer

Post by clipperer » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:14 pm

oh nooo where was that ending reverb glitch???
okok . sounds great. good that you turned up the drums.
impressive track!!

Ambioun - Techno Man

Post by Ambioun - Techno Man » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:18 pm

suburbanbather wrote:Sounds very balanced to me. Listening to it on Event PS8 monitors. Nice smooth bass. I'm burning this to cd so that I can listen in my car(pretty bumpin sound system) on the way to work tomorrow. The drums cut through the mix without being too loud.

What did you use for glassy/metallic strings? Operator, Absynth?

Nice track!

Pro sounding to me 8)
Wow. Well I am using Sharp Home Stereo speakers "the worst thing you would produce on" and getting good feedback on the mix is wonderful. Maybe it's these colored monitors that make mixing better, who knows.

The glassy strings is actually a faulty patch on one of my earlier Infection releases for Reaktor 5. There was somehow an FM leak between all the oscillators and when I used one Sineplex as a modulator and 3 other sines octaves apart, and with a little lfo for pitch mod., you get that nice, thin but thick, metallic string sound. Of course there was heavy reverb, which required me to not add reverb to the track in mastering. The tail reverb at the end is actually the Infection's reverbs and delays.

If you want the Reaktor 5 patch email me at starwind@sunflower.com

Thanks for the feedback.

BTW The reverb glitch at the end was a rendering problem on Ableton Live 5, so if you want that effect, then you have to turn your sample rate way too low where it studders a little and render and hope that the render is the one out of 1 billion that gives you that effect right there in that spot.

Lol but i admit, if I could, I would shove that little bit in.
Last edited by Ambioun - Techno Man on Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:22 pm

[quote="Ambioun - Techno Man"]

Wow. Well I am using Sharp Home Stereo speakers "the worst thing you would produce on" and getting good feedback on the mix is wonderful. Maybe it's these colored monitors that make mixing better, who knows.

Thanks for the feedback.

quote]

Have you had those speakers for long time? It may be just because you know those speakers really well.

Ambioun - Techno Man

Post by Ambioun - Techno Man » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:24 pm

suburbanbather wrote:
Ambioun - Techno Man wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.

quote]

Have you had those speakers for long time? It may be just because you know those speakers really well.
Well I have never used anything else so yeah. Look at my post above, I added some more info.

Thanks again.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:32 pm

thats the most important thing with monitors.

KNOWING THEM.

i think its more important to buy monitors that won't fatigue your ears rather than the ones that have the most amazing flat frequency responses and ridiculously low s/n ratios and THD.

cause no matter what you use, you won't get great mixes on those monitors till you truley know them. So buy what you enjoy listening to the most, and never stop learning how everything sounds through them.

i'll never sell my Tannoys.

Ambioun - Techno Man

Post by Ambioun - Techno Man » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:06 am

Well In waves I used their Limiter MultiMaximizer, Width control thing, and Eqs.

Nothing real extravagant.

radeon

Post by radeon » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:43 am

Your master sounds wonderful on my system. I want you to mastering my songs. What effect did you use and did you perform the mix only in ableton? I have to take my audio seperate tracks and mix in other software. I cant get great sound from ableton maybe its only me.

Wonderful sound and song you did.

8)

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:49 am

Ambioun
would it be possible for you to post an unmastered Waves-less version?
would be much help for making comparisons and such. what i mean is your mastering might be great because your mixing alone is great, or if the mix was far different to begin with, we can see just how much more the mastering process (and Waves Plug-ins) added to the end result.

it would be most interesting to hear an unmastered version.

cheers.

Ambioun - Techno Man

Post by Ambioun - Techno Man » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:51 am

Only Ableton and Plugins.

I will be happy to master any tracks for free. Just zip them and send to starwind@sunflower.com. Usually I master for a fee of $5 but I'll give it to ya for free. I usually do mastering work for local rock bands that just need clean and loud, but I can adjust to any style. If you want to give me something though you can always tell your friends about my music.

Hope to see your tracks soon.

radeon

Post by radeon » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:52 am

I agree with adma because i was just to post again and say that I checked your rms level in my editor I did. Your rms level is high and like big releases with out sqaushing life from the song. You did good maybe you are a natural master engineer. :)