launching a clip you've just recorded

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
twynog

Post by twynog » Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:27 pm

I'm trying to decide whether to buy Live, and what I want is to use it as a software looper. To do this I need to be able to simultaneously stop recording and start playing the clip. Is there a way to do this?

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:35 pm

Arm track - assign key to clip [which is now in record mode] - hit key [you're recording] - hit key again [you're playing back
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

twynog

Post by twynog » Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:20 pm

thanks for this. I havn't yet worked out how to assign a key, but no doubt the help menu will reveal all.

quandry

assign "key to clip"

Post by quandry » Sun Mar 23, 2003 2:01 am

I'm not sure what you mean by "assing key to clip". I've been trying a number of things to create the perfrect loop in Live on the fly (with bass, guitar, keys etc. and a midi foot controller). I have yet to find a hands-free midi control command (or even combination of midi cc messages) to effectively create a loop in the loop region of Live while in loop mode--no dropouts, imperfect loop lengths.... I think the original question is something I should have asked before I bought live, I just assumed you could loop instruments live ala boss loop station, boomerang...one pedal to start loop, stop/return loop, and overdub. Not possible in live.

Live SORELY needs to add a button (like one of the midi assignable monitor, rec arm... buttons) to each track that is a loop record button--hit it to start the loop on that track, and again to stop/loop. It should be that you set the master loop region and tempo, then just hit the button at begining and end of loop (Live should make it quantizable--i.e. you don't have to nail the end of the loop button press, it would quantize to the next closest measure, beat, 16th note--whatever you choose) and your looping. After its looping, it should be that you can hit the same button again to begin overdub recording on the track, hitting it yet again to stop overdubing, repeat to desired taste. It seems so simple and necessary, for live to truly live up to its name, it should be possible to sample instruments live into it, creating seemless, perfect (tempo-wise) loops. Otherwise, lets be honest, it really isn't Live, dragging clips around and pasting stuff. I want to perform in front of people, and play instuments LIve, not move a mouse and hit some key commands live. Sadly, my boss loop station is currently a superior looping device, and I'm waiting impatiently for Live to address this serious oversight/flaw/contradiction to the name of the program.

twynog

live looping

Post by twynog » Sun Mar 23, 2003 8:36 pm

Ah - someone who understands the problem.

I too have a Boss Loop Station, and I play sax into it via an effects unit (mainly for delay). However, the sound quality using this set up is not too good, and I really want stereo - one side for the original imput and the other for the effect. Also, the biggest problem with the Boss is that you cannot quantise to BPM, so it's very difficult to synchronise with pre-recorded material.

I had hoped that Abelton Live would do exactly as you describe.

I've searched all over the place for a software looper - as you say it seems such an obvious thing to do, so WHY HASN'T SOMEBODY DONE IT YET????

I have been able to asign a key to the empty clip where I wish to begin recording, but it doesn't play back properly.

please get in touch: turner@maestwynog.freeserve.co.uk